Where to go? (Planning last minute New Years trip...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I won't know until December 1st if I'll be able to take New Years week off, so I'm trying to do some pre-planning so I can pull the trigger when I have a firm answer.

Already many places are sold out, so we're going to have to work with what is left.

We have never been to the Caymans so I'm interested in maybe heading that way. LCBR is sold out, but Sunset House has rooms. I also have an email out to Cobalt Coast. Any other resorts to look in to?

Also, if you have any other location suggestions, please let me know as we are not fixed on the Caymans or even the Caribbean. We have been to Roatan in the past and are doing BVI Thanksgiving week. We have never dove anywhere other than California, the Caribbean, and Hawaii.

Cobalt Coast is a little too far removed for my taste. So you'd want a car unless you plan to stay on-site all week. They do shuttle you between their facilities - the other being at Lighthouse Pt. a few minutes away.

One thing to know about Grand Cayman is that winter has the highest likelihood of being blown out on the north side. So then they move boats and shuttle you to them. The flipside being that IMO the better shore dives are in that area - the two mentioned above and Turtle Reef which is between them. On Cayman due to boat dive costs it's a factor to consider.

Sunset House being leeward and south has much less likelihood of being as affected by weather. If they are also, they'll dive the south sites - actually some of the better dives since they see less traffic. Also you can walk to Georgetown from Sunset House if/when you tire of the food there. Nothing is really walkable from Cobalt Coast. I like SH also as a dive resort. The Mermaid is there in 50' and there's a small wreck to dive. My Bar there is the diver's bar and has good food. There's also another restaurant on-site - didn't eat there. Visit the Cathy Church Photo Gallery/School/Store - if she's there she'll sign a print if you buy one. And talk diving for the next hour - nice lady.

If there's an unseen downside it's that it's directly in the flight path - the first time a departing jet goes over you almost duck - they're pretty low. IDK how frequently that happens at Christmas. It's loud enough that conversation at My Bar stops for a few seconds.

The Westin is really nice...lol. Red Sail Watersports is on-site for diving. All of Seven Mile Beach is nice also but the dives are too far out to reach from shore. If you find other resorts (or condos) along Seven Mile Beach just about all the dive operators that work that area will pick you up for free. There's a whole fleet of vans running around behind the resorts most mornings. If you dive Stingray City (you should) they'll pick you up and take you to a boat on the Sound for the few minute ride out to the site. More affordable options in that area are Comfort Suites or Sunshine Suites - neither are beachfront. About 50 yds. from CS and across the street from SS. Comfort Suites also has Ambassador Divers on-site - I recommend them here regularly.

If you don't mind it being a lot quieter consider the East End also. Compass Point Condos has Ocean Frontiers on-site. They dive the East End which most say is the better diving. It's a 45min. drive from Georgetown though and there's not a lot else out there. There's also the timeshares at Morritt's about 10mins. further N.E. They have Tortuga Divers on-site. Or the Reef which is sold as an AI dive resort. Red Sail/Tortuga Divers does their diving also. I know very little about any of them.

Once you get east there's one market and a few restaurants not at the resorts. Everything else is a drive back to Georgetown basically.

Grand Cayman is really pricey also. More than Hawai - on everything. Dives are 2/$100 and food is expensive - in the markets or the restaurants. At least for lunch the U.S. chains are there - there's a couple Subways, KFC, BK downtown etc. Georgetown around New Years could possibly see 5-6 cruise ships in port simultaneously so IMO it's good to be somewhere else during the day. Once they all leave it's fairly easy to get a table. Guy Harvey's Grille is nice but it's 300' south of the cruise port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom