Where to go with kid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avalpert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, first post on the board. I'm planning a dive trip with my wife for thanksgiving weekend in the Carribean (close to northeast US home) - it will be our first trip with our child in tow, who will have just turned 2.

We are looking for a good choice with good diving, spots close to shore so we are not away for too long, good hotel options that will have trustable babysitting services for our dives.

Right now for Islands I was thinking Saba, Little Cayman, Cozumel or Turks/Caicos (Bonaire would be great because of the shore diving freedom if not for the difficulty in getting there). Any suggestions on resort/locations that best fit the criteria?

The Occidental Grand on Cozumel seems like a good fit because it is close to the reef, has babysitting that soudns reputable and the dive schedule would allow us to dive once in the morning and then a second dive in the pm during our childs nap. Any experiences?

For your information, we have already been to US and British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Utila/Roatan, Little Corn Island, Aruba and Belize in the Carribean sans-kid.

Thanks in advance for the help.

It's easy to get to Bonaire from the Northeast! Fly Continental out of Newark direct or Delta to Atlanta then direct to Boanire!

Liz

Unfortunately we can really only go Wed-Sun with three days of diving this time - and I cna't find any flight to Bonaire mid-week

Hi. Having been to Bonaire and also having travelled with a 2 year old, I would recommend someplace that has descent beaches and diving so your little one can enjoy the beach. If your child was a little older, bonaire would be great because he/she could snorkel, but at 2...too young. Bring a bucket and little shovel and you will have hours of entertainment. Although I don't recommend Jamaica as a dive destination, we wound up doing Beaches Sandy Bay last year, left our son in the daycare and then dove. It worked for us, but the diving was just ok. I would pick Turks and Caicos-good beaches and diving. We are actually doing that in Jan with little one in tow. Have fun!

I would consider one of Jamaica's all-inclusives. Especially around Negril. They have babysitting and programs for kids, though 2 might be a bit young for the programs. They often include diving in the package, and the boat leaves from the shore. The diving in Negril isn't bad at all. Volume of marine life may not be there, but the variety is. Grand Lido is one resort I would consider.

with that short of a trip, I would try to stick to a place where you can get a direct flight. Also, you are looking at an expensive week so some resorts may be full already (xmas and thanksgiving are busy anywhere in Carib). Definitely look at airfare and schedules before you book anything and then find out if resorts are full.
go to Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
and Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
to look at packages and then call them.

Cozumel is a good option for a short trip IF you can get a direct flight. The larger AI resorts have sitter services. The other places you mentioned are a bit harder to get to so be sure you understand how many times you will be changing planes and that some islands only have a few flights in-out per day.

We have taken our son to both Grand Cayman and Provo (Turks & Caicos). He was six weeks old in Grand Cayman, so we took my parents along as babysitters. He was 5 months old when we went to Turks & Caicos and a friend's cousin lives there so she and her nanny took care of him for us while we were on the boat. We had a non-diving friend going with us to the Keys to babysit, but Gustav & Hannah cancelled that one.

I haven't seen any sitter services anywhere yet that I would be comfortable leaving one so small with. We've found it works well to take a non-diving friend/relative along and pay a portion of their trip. When he's old enough to communicate to us what he did while we were gone, then I'd go for some of the resorts with children's programs.

We're looking at the Corn Islands for February (sans child this time). How was it?

Corn Island was great. Diving is good but that relaxed atmosphere and calm is what made it for me.

I would fly to Beef Island on Tortola and have the Little Dix Bay Resort people pick you up in their launch and spend the time at their resort. They have a GREAT kids program and they also arrange some nice diving for you and your wife. If you want relaxing THAT is the place. It is the sister resort to Caneel Bay in St John as well and you can go back and forth if you want.

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD DO.

Back
Top Bottom