Where to go with non-diver wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are planning a 2wk trip - depart US on ~25 March. She has fallen in love with Pacific Islands (think Bora Bora, hut over water, etc). I am trying to talk her down into something more economical (Roatan, perhaps)... but she is being somewhat insistant. So I guess the question is where could we go and can we find something really nice that doesnt break the bank. While she would love to spend a couple nights on a on-the-water hut we dont need each night (or even most) to be luxury villa. But she would VERY much like to be able to walk into perfectly calm waters for good snorkeling any time she wants. And of course if I am going to go all the way out there I want to do some very good diving.

So where should we look? Is there a beautiful island that is not too hard to get to, has perfect flat water teeming with great snorkeling and diving and such without crazy prices. I had hoped to budget $5K for this trip, but that would not be possible for Pacific Isles as flights are $3-4K (or more) alone. So I can up the budget but dont want to go crazy.

I welcome all ideas! Thanks - Jeremy

How about to Reno, NV, for a quicky divorce? :D

I just did a Travelocity search for another post: you can get a direct flight to Fiji for $1300 on Qantas. I haven't been there, but it might be a place that makes you both happy. From Undercurrent's Fiji overview:

For left coasters, it takes about the same amount of time to get to Fiji as it does to the Caribbean: 10 hours nonstop from L. A, and the diving in Fiji is arguably considerably superior to most in the Caribbean. Prices are comparable and air packages can include New Zealand/Australia extensions at little extra cost. Fijians are polite, friendly, modest, and religious, so watch your language, and wear nonrevealing clothes to town. Wetsuits are staples yearround; currents add coolness and in some places they're vigorous, so carry surface signaling devices when diving Fiji or Tuvalu.. In September 2004, American Dan Grenier, the former operator of Crystal Divers, disappeared with another diver while leading divers from Bamboo Reef Resort on Nananu-I-Ra. The weather can be stormy June through September; short, heavy showers are possible any afternoon year-round, especially around Beqa Lagoon. The year-round average temperature is 80 or above; nights average 69 degrees in winter.

I'm at PDX, so it does add a few $100's to LAX prices. But Nada can be done for ~$1400 - which doesnt end-all. But then your in Nada... don't I want to be off on a tiny island that is yet more to get to and spendy to stay? So terrylowe, thats what I am asking... IF I were to splurge and go South Pacific, where should I go? Criteria would be sandy beach, flat waters, good snorkelling off that beach, and great diving... I would want to excluded places that are very hard (expensive) to get to as this would make the trip a no-go. Would want a resort that doesn't cost a fortune but never want to feel like "should have spent more for a nicer place".

If she's set on Tahiti, check out the tahititourism website. They have some great deals. 5 nights in Tahiti from 1400/pp with air from L.A., 5 night stays on two islands from 1600 with air from L.A. and so forth. I get their e-mails all the time since I attended DEMA one year. I have to say I haven't been on any of their trips, so don't know the particulars, especially what the upgrade to an over-the-water bungalow would cost.

Jerry

Getting to Fiji is too easy to not check out. I think within a few hours of Nadi, you could find what you're looking for. I'll be looking to the north at something like; Fiji Beach Resort Accommodation Fiji Diving Wedding Honeymoon - wananavu Beach Resort for my next trip with my non-diving wife. The ride from Nadi to Lautoka for my Nai'a trip last year was nice and I could have easily gone another hour+. Beqa (sp?) to the south looks nice, too.
I haven't been to Hawaii in 10 years, but that's always tempting for us.

I'm at PDX, so it does add a few $100's to LAX prices. But Nada can be done for ~$1400 - which doesnt end-all. But then your in Nada... don't I want to be off on a tiny island that is yet more to get to and spendy to stay? So terrylowe, thats what I am asking... IF I were to splurge and go South Pacific, where should I go? Criteria would be sandy beach, flat waters, good snorkelling off that beach, and great diving... I would want to excluded places that are very hard (expensive) to get to as this would make the trip a no-go. Would want a resort that doesn't cost a fortune but never want to feel like "should have spent more for a nicer place".

Here's a thought. My wife does not dive either. Why don't we just drop our wives off in LA and you and I can go to Fiji and DIVE? :crafty:

For that second vacation a year- and the best, low-stress diving in the world- you can't beat a place called "Separate Destinations":D

For that second vacation a year- and the best, low-stress diving in the world- you can't beat a place called "Separate Destinations":D
Yes, this worked well for my wife and I--right up to our divorce. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom