Where to in the Keys???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings from bitter cold Wisconsin! My wife and I just got back from Coz (Scuba Club Cozumel) and are starting to plan our next trip. I've been considering staying in the keys and doing some diving. We like a laid back easy going resort that doesn't have to be expensive - I'd rather pay for the dive ops.

Of course getting out of Wisconsin in the winter is our goal. Any advice as to the best winter months to dive as well as where to stay would be greatly appreciated. I am completely unfamiliar with the area, the reefs, etc.

Thanks!
Bobby T.

The better diving is in the Upper Keys, basically from Marathon to North Key largo.

There are lot's of good operators and places to stay. Two favorites of each here on Scubaboard are Conch Republic Divers and Silent World Key Largo along with Kawama Yacht Club and Ocean Point Suites.

I think both dive operations offer lodging packages to both places

Brian offers good suggestions; for me I always choose the operator, b/c I'm there for the diving. I'd plan on Key Largo and/or Islamorada for the better Keys diving.

One Operator I would add is HMS Minnow, especially if you like smaller boats and a max of 6 divers ( I do) - any of the Op's can set you up with accomodations - you will not generally encounter Coz like all inclusive accomodations, but its not a big deal.

One such place is Amoray in Key Largo; receives mixed reviews on the board (I've stayed there and dove with them and have nothing bad to say) - but has boat and lodging in one place. Thre was a thread recently; check the search function for it - also, this question gets asked frequently, so the search function will be of assistance to you for more info than you can shake a stick at.

Accomodations range from the chain hotels - Holiday Inn, Ramada, Marriott - to mom and pop motels last decorated when Ford was president!

For a variety of reasons motels in the Keys tend to be expensive, and book up on weekends and holidays.

Lots of threads address this. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/269111-looking-info-diving-fla-keys.html

I've been considering staying in the keys and doing some diving. We like a laid back easy going resort that doesn't have to be expensive - I'd rather pay for the dive ops.
Any advice as to the best winter months to dive as well as where to stay would be greatly appreciated. I am completely unfamiliar with the area, the reefs, etc.
Thanks! Bobby T.
"Resort": Try researching Bay Harbor-traditional old Keysy and somewhat reasonable cost. On the bay. Good location. Or Ocean Pointe condos. (Islamorada) Word has it they're getting a little long in the tooth but it's probably still an OK property. Just modern 1-2 BR condos. NICE pool. Gated property. A few bucks more than Bay Harbor. Don't wanna spend $ for lodging - Ed & Ellen's. (K.L.)
Best diving: Islamorada (MM90) to Key Largo (up to MM107). Ocean Divers, BIG boats. They'll go out with two. Or HMS Minnow for the best 6-pack in the Keys. Quiescence also has good 6-packs. All in K.L. Conch Republic Divers in Islamorada is a super op. (MM90.5) Scuba-Do: 34' boat / 10 divers max. By Ocean Divers and near HMS Minnow. They've maintained a good rep over the years through several owners.
Dive sites: Snapper Ledge-must do (K.L. area), Benwood wreck-shallow, K.L. area, teeming w/fish 'n' stuff (IF you like wrecks). French Reef. Spiegel Grove is a mid-depth wreck (~80-130'); you've no doubt heard of it. Eagle wreck in the Islamorada area. You'll probably see 100'+ (depth).
Oh, the best winter months are the latest, around June or July.

Not to knock the Key Largo sites (that's where we go most frequently), but do look at Looe Key and Sombrero Light. They are great dive locations (they seem more like Caribbean dives to me) reachable out of Marathon or Big Pine Key, about 55-65 mi from Key Largo.

The Keys are one of my favorite spots. If you want cheap lodging this is it!

Sunset Inn, an affordable motel in Islamorada in the Florida Keys

$55 a night off season, $75 a night in season. Add $10 for a kitchen. The rooms are outdated, but the pool is nice, and the beds are comfortable (at least in the rooms we have rented).

I, like you would rather spend money on enjoying the vacation rather than a room I spend time sleeping in.

If you want more upscale we have stayed at Ocean Point Condo's. Nice rooms, ALL the amenities, but we paid around $125 a night, and that was several years back.

Looe Key is one of my favorites! Just walk to back of resort and there's your boat.......Tiki hut, what more could you ask for!.......very laid back, as are the "Keys" in general!

Give speargirl a pm. She has good deals on condos. All the dive ops mentioned are excellent.
Conch Republic Divers also goes out of there way to make sure you receive the best local info(restaurants parks etc). You will feel like a friend more then a customer( my 2 cents)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom