where to place fiber optic cable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chace_nicol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New Canon A570IS w/Canon housing...attached to a sealife 960 strobe. Where do I place the fiber optic cable? Like pic #1 or pic #2? Edit: Ok, I didn't have much luck posting photo's, see attached link. Do I place the fiber optic cable over the flash or over by the pre-flash?

These pics are shown without the flash diffuser that attaches to the housing. Do I attach that still with an external strobe? Thanks in advance!

photostream

Coz Feb 09 120 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Place it in front of the flash. Use teh solid flash deflector if youyr housing has one to block the camera's strobe as much as possible. Set the internal strobe to manual and 1/3 power level.

N

Chace,
I'm pretty sure that your picture shows the wrong part up against the camera housing. You should put the "deflector adaptor" in front of your camera's flash with the bare end of the FO cable pushed into it. Alternatively, you can just use some tape to hold the bare end of the cable over the flash. See this link for the Flashlink user manual.
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/download/FlashLinkManual.pdf

He is trying to rig up something that was not meant to go together I think. I forget you don't have the Inon AD adapter on your DC-12. I would consider attaching your cable holder to the the diffuser and even paint the diffuser black except where the cable sits.

I know I posted this before but you can see the Inon supplied solid black deflector with the cable adapter (the black knob looking thing):

DSCF0003-5.jpg

You need to completely block the camera's strobe as much as possible. when using the Inon system the housing diffuser is completely removed and replaced by the one on the Inon AD adapter kit with optic cable connector. Also, Inon supplies a piece of black film (exposed slide film) that is used to place over the strobe on the camera because the Inon D2000 triggers on infrared and the film blocks all light but infrared.

N

No, they are not meant to go together. The sealife flash is the 960, but not the digital version. However, I have been told that the cable will allow the two to work together & the external strobe does fire with the cable against the flash. Maybe I will have some luck next week.

I got the strobe dirt cheap & just trying to figure out if I enjoy underwater photography before I let go of $400 or more for a proper strobe. I will try blacking it out and just using the black tape to attach.

I'm a she...:blinking:

No, they are not meant to go together. The sealife flash is the 960, but not the digital version. However, I have been told that the cable will allow the two to work together & the external strobe does fire with the cable against the flash. Maybe I will have some luck next week.

I got the strobe dirt cheap & just trying to figure out if I enjoy underwater photography before I let go of $400 or more for a proper strobe. I will try blacking it out and just using the black tape to attach.

Sorry, I forgot.

Do you have the little white diffuser panel that was on the housing? If so what I am saying is to attach the optical cable "thingy" (since you are a girl) to that white plastic diffuser.

N

I have same set up as you except i have the Sl960D. You can easily use black electrical tape. the cable does fire a little better if it is head on. Meaning directly down the cable, like a barrel of a gun, rather then triggering from the side like the taping method does. With that being said, Sealife makes a rubber piece, included in the fiber optic cable package that will acomplish this. Another idea I am going to try is to get black 3m velcro and secure the adapter to the housing using the velcro.

Good luck

Before you put the black tape over the FO cable, lay a very small bit of aluminium foil over it so (without blocking the flash) so that you get a few gazillion more photons reflected into the FO cable.

I use a Canon G9 with the Canon housing and a S&S YS 110 here is how i attached it I used heavy duty double sided tape and if you going to use the fiber optic cable it goes right over were the camera flash is here are some pics

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom