Where to put a dive boat. Nanaimo or Maple Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a marina for my boat and can't decide between Nanaimo and Maple Bay.

I want to choose the area that offers the best proximity to dive sites that don't require a chase boat operator. I also don't beach my boat.

Here are some sites for each area that meet the above requirements. You'll notice that sites like Dodd Narrows, Gabriola Pass, Porlier and Active Pass are not listed as they require a live boat.

Nanaimo

Snake Island Wrecks
Riv Tow Lion
Clarke Rock

Maple Bay

CB Church Wreck

deepdiverbc:
I am looking for a marina for my boat and can't decide between Nanaimo and Maple Bay.

I want to choose the area that offers the best proximity to dive sites that don't require a chase boat operator. I also don't beach my boat.

Here are some sites for each area that meet the above requirements. You'll notice that sites like Dodd Narrows, Gabriola Pass, Porlier and Active Pass are not listed as they require a live boat.

Nanaimo

Snake Island Wrecks
Riv Tow Lion
Clarke Rock

Maple Bay

CB Church Wreck

Have you dove those sites yet? I have not dove the 737 yet but I think I would be bored in about 3 minutes. The Church is a cool wreck but again not too big. My guess is Nanaimo will put you close to a number of other sites. Besides I will watch your bubbles if you want to do those other sites out of Nanaimo:D

I'd personally go with Nanaimo. Maple Bay is next to Sansum Narrows which has good diving, but has current as well. The Sidney area also has lots of current-type dives. Saanich Inlet has little current, great viz and nice walls, but not much life (less than Howe Sound at least). I think the Sidney area has some awesome diving, but most of it has quite a bit of current. At the Nanaimo wrecks, you can tie up to the bouy and current isn't much of an issue. You can also go up to the Nanoose/Parksville area which is pretty good and there isn't much current. I think, on average, the vis is better in the Nanaimo area than in the Sidney area. Actually, after all that, what I would do is put it in Nanaimo for a few weekends and then Maple Bay for a few and see what you like best.

Nanaimo puts you pretty close to the Hornby Island area where there is a lot of good diving also.

I agree about the GB Church, once or twice and I'd be bored.

I keep mine in Blaine - gateway to the Gulf and San Juan islands!

Jack

Jack,

I considered Blaine but my wife doen't like the open water since we got caught in 10 ft swells several years back. One day I want to do a charter down that way. I hear the San Jaun's have some nice dive sites. Hornby is where that boat is now but I also have a 12ft lund there so don't need the bigger boat.

Swankenstein,

The problem with the Nanaimo wrecks is that they are very exposed and half the time I end up canceling the dive due to weather. I have dove Dophin and Madrona but they are shore dives so why burn the gas. Are there any good sites near Nanoose and Winchelsea that make a boat usefull? You dive a lot of sites that aren't on the typical dive charter. I was hoping you would choose one area over the other but it sounds like a tie. Maybe what I will do is keep it in Nanaimo for the winter and Maple Bay for the summer but it makes securing moorage a pain.

wedivebc

I haven't dove the 737 yet but have done the CB Church. Once a year is probably good enough for either but was hoping there were a few reefs and walls in that area that I wasn't aware of with minimal current. Too bad that maximum current equals maximum marine life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom