Where to rent dive equipment in Sorong/Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's time to think about the possibility of changing the LOB
Colleagues, I understand a good price offer, the most important thing is Safety.
Since the boat has nothing but cylinders and a compressor, it's a huge risk of an unsuccessful week at the End of the World
Can you give the name of Lodz?

Thanks for all the responses and bringing up some good points.

The boat is the Raja Ampat Explorer--I've read a few reviews on here, undercurrent and other sites and from what I can tell the boat seems like a legitimate operation. I'll reach out again about equipment rental because I'm guessing something got lost in translation. I can't imagine they've never dealt with customers who need to rent gear.

I'm pretty sure we'll all have our own computers and masks but will need to rent BCD/regulator/weights/fins. Most people in our group aren't major divers (1-2 dive vacations per year) so we aren't wanting to buy equipment that we'll have to manage and travel with. I've personally had awful luck with airlines losing luggage so I avoid checking luggage if possible and don't want to lug my equipment around every dive trip. We've talked about peoples differing comfort levels and the intensity of Raja Ampat, people are aware it can be difficult diving. From what I know, everyone there will have between 30-150 dives under their belts, and some of the less experienced divers are planning to do some diving before hand to get more experience.

No rentals = no back up plan for lost/damaged gear. The vast majority of seasoned divers would not choose this arrangement. If you are unable to change your booking, would suggest that you reach out to boat operator asap for possible solutions.

No rentals = no back up plan for lost/damaged gear. The vast majority of seasoned divers would not choose this arrangement. If you are unable to change your booking, would suggest that you reach out to boat operator asap for possible solutions.
Exactly - on the very first dive in Raja Ampat last December, one of my Avanti Quattro + fin bungee straps broke (they were pretty new so must have been a defect - but I carry extras now).

Blue Manta crew immediately gave me a pair of ScubaPro Go Sports to use for the rest of the trip. I also borrowed a shorty wet suit one day when it was a bit warm for my full 3mm suit. So a boat with gear to provide (they never charged me!) can be a trip saver - they got a very nice tip!

How much equipment should they keep in store for a group of, let's say, 10 divers?
Regulators is simple, 11 plus some spare parts should be enough. But BCD' s, suits, booties and fins are all depending on the sizes the guests need. So, maybe they find themselves suddenly needing 5 XXL BCD' s. Or 4 pairs XS fins. I suppose that most dive live-a-boards keep some rental equipment. But not for large groups.

Just browsing around the internet about this boat, it looks like they don't have rental equipment. One travel agency site says they have free Nitrox, but because of limited power supply, they can only serve 9 divers, plus you'll need a reef hook and a dive light. IMO, you would be wise to find another operator for your trip.

How much equipment should they keep in store for a group of, let's say, 10 divers?
Regulators is simple, 11 plus some spare parts should be enough. But BCD' s, suits, booties and fins are all depending on the sizes the guests need. So, maybe they find themselves suddenly needing 5 XXL BCD' s. Or 4 pairs XS fins. I suppose that most dive live-a-boards keep some rental equipment. But not for large groups.

@Indah
This is not quite true... most LOBs ask ahead of time if you need rental gear (and sizes). If they don't keep enough on the boat (or on shore) then they will source locally and carry for the guests. I've been on several LOBs where a group of 6-8 folks all needed BCD's, regs, etc. and the LOB managed it...

@Indah
This is not quite true... most LOBs ask ahead of time if you need rental gear (and sizes). If they don't keep enough on the boat (or on shore) then they will source locally and carry for the guests. I've been on several LOBs where a group of 6-8 folks all needed BCD's, regs, etc. and the LOB managed it...
Yes, I you are right. Somehow I got the impression this was about a large group (15plus) and departure from Sorong would make it even more complicated I guessed. But of course other boats will have comply with the demands of their guests.

We have a group headed to Raja Ampat for a week long liveaboard next year, but none of us own our own equipment, and the boat we're going with only provides air and doesn't have equipment for rent. They also informed us they don't know of any equipment rental spots in Sorong (where the boat picks us up). Anyone know of companies in Raja area that will rent equipment for a trip like this? Would prefer to rent over ponying up and getting our own.

When I went to Raja Ampat (Waisai) pre-covid, there was a shop that rented out dive equipment, but it wasn't a dive centre.

They had loads of tanks for rent, but I can't remember if they had personal diving equipment there for hire, but I think maybe.

There was also a speedboat to go out diving, you could hire for 2 million rupiah a day, if I remember correctly.

I might still have their card and info, but I'm away from home at the moment. Although there could be a chance that it's not open anymore post-covid.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom