Where to see seals and such?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrycsr

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on a trip to Northern California, San Francisco and Monterrey, and will have a day to dive.

Can anyone recommend a dive site or sites to see seals?

Can you recommend your favorite dive sites for an open water diver?

Thanks.

I'm on a trip to Northern California, San Francisco and Monterrey, and will have a day to dive.

Can anyone recommend a dive site or sites to see seals?

MacAbee Beach, Coral St., or Point Lobos.

Can you recommend your favorite dive sites for an open water diver?

Thanks.

Point Lobos. Make a reservation well in advance if it's a weekend/holiday, or show up early (9am) if it's a weekday.

To see seals on land, try Fitzgerald Marine Reserve and the tidepools: Friends of the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve although the sitings can be "interrupted" because of high tide. Almost always seals can be seen at Ano Nuevo State Reserve. See: Año Nuevo SNR

Nice hiking at Ano Nuevo as well. I've attached some of my photos .......

Attachments

• Ano Nuevo 04.28.07 (32).jpg
    Ano Nuevo 04.28.07 (32).jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Ano Nuevo 04.28.07 (9).jpg
    Ano Nuevo 04.28.07 (9).jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 31
Not sure when your trip is planned, but if it is soon, baby seal season is upon us. If you go to Point Lobos, there is a good chance you will see (topside) the moms and their pups on the little beach at the south end of Whaler's Cove (the cove where you enter to dive). About a week and a half ago, a mom and her pup were nursing at the bottom of the ramp, preventing us from entering the water :) So cute!

Rob pretty much summed up where you can see them underwater.

Sea lions and sea otters can also be seen (topside) pretty reliably at Point Lobos -- sea lions at "sea lion rocks" and sea otters at "headland cove" (see Point Lobos State Reserve - Trail Map for a map of the park). You can see them elsewhere around Lobos, but those are the places I have found them most reliably.

And if you want to see sea lions, Breakwater at San Carlos Beach would be a good place.

Thanks for the info. It's really helpful.

For June how is the viz?

What thickness of wetsuit do you recommend?

Thank you.

Thanks for the info. It's really helpful.

For June how is the viz?

What thickness of wetsuit do you recommend?

Thank you.

Viz can be good or bad, depending on a number of things (algae blooms, marine forecasts, where you dive, # of students in the water before you, etc).

Thickness of wetsuit - we are pretty much year round 7mm - for some a 1 piece is fine with a hood or hood vest. Some wear 2 piece farmer johns, some wear dry suits year round. The water temp is usually in the 50s.

You can see them almost anywhere you find great whites!

Seriously, Ano Nuevo is pretty awesome at the right time of year. You can also see sea otters at Point Lobos. Way cool.

Back
Top Bottom