Where to shark dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarine

Reaction score
I have been diving a short time but I enjoy it and am taking it on in stride. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can do some shark dives in the sunny state of Florida,, where I live. Otherwise last time I was in Nassau I did notice they have a shark diving/ feeding trip. Just trying to get some experienced input.

ScubaMarine:
I have been diving a short time but I enjoy it and am taking it on in stride. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can do some shark dives in the sunny state of Florida,, where I live. Otherwise last time I was in Nassau I did notice they have a shark diving/ feeding trip. Just trying to get some experienced input.

Aproximately 50% of the dives in the Panama City Beach area ARE shark dives, depending on the time of the year it could be more. Dive operators don't charge extra, but then again, it must be because they already charge plenty.

Bulls and hammerheads are continuosly checking out the spearfishing. They don't seem to care much about flounder but they sure like grouper and snapper (!@#$%s!!!). Most of them are very civilized actualy.

If you don't have a catch is harder to see them, you have to look for shadows at the edge of yout visibility. Same as looking for flounder or lobster, once you know what to look for, is easy to spot them. Every once in a while they'll parade right in front of you in their full majesty. I think they do that to see if the diver is nice enough to kill the stupid remoras that drive them freaking up the wall.
These encounters are mostly great but is a good idea to keep something handy to club them in case they decide to act like a punk. I haven't seen more than 2 or 3 at a time, generaly just one checking if you have anything they may like.

Ana:
Aproximately 50% of the dives in the Panama City Beach area ARE shark dives, depending on the time of the year it could be more. Dive operators don't charge extra, but then again, it must be because they already charge plenty.

Do you recommend any particular boats or groups to dive with up there? I may drive up in June or July as I have a lot of free time. Let me know, thanks.

ScubaMarine Do you recommend any particular boats or groups to dive with up there? I may drive up in June or July as I have a lot of free time. Let me know:
I you are coming from SE Florida I can't recommend anyone keeping a straight face. Dive operations around Panama City Beach are less than optimal.

With that said.
Dive Locker runs 2 boats, both 6 pack, both are crowded if there are 6 divers, both boats are trailered to a ramp, and it takes forever to get things going. I use only one of these 2, because I don't think the capt. of the other one has a clue about maintaining a boat in working condition.

Divers Den has a very comfortable boat, well maintained already in the water at departure time. I can't used it because I hate to limit my dives to match anyone elses, and don't give a hoot about the rest of the divers waiting for me to complete my 50 to 60 minute dive.

There is another nice boat, forgot the name, the Capt is Rosanne (different spelling probably) I hear good things about the operation but not spearfishing with that boat.

Never used the big boats of Hydrospace, too many divers in them for my taste, I think they run 3 trips a day. Considering the average time to the dive sites around here, they either take you right out of the pass or seriously limit your dive time.

And that's about it (unfortunately) seems like locals have their own boats, I wish I could say the same.

Be prepared to have your dive cancelled, not just for weather which is reasonable. Around here you can sign up for a dive during the week, and then the morning of the dive just call and say you can't come, or don't even say anything just don't show up. Appears that is perfectly normal as far as the dive shops go, they don;t charge your card, they even ask you to go to them again, next time you are town. Of course if you have 1 or 2 spots and the only other 2 don't show up, it is not worth for the boat to go out.

Besides that, the diving is good. Not colorful as south florida, but lots of life, maybe because the water is so stinking cold, seems like the creatures are bigger. For example a typical mantis shrimp is about 1.5 to 2" diameter. This past weekend I saw a couple of live tritons that where as long as a fin.

Back
Top Bottom