Where to snorkel and stay in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L Meckel

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Belize in January or February 2004 to snorkel (3-4 days) and also check out the jungle and Mayan sites (2-3 days). I may go alone but I'm hoping an out of state friend will meet me there.
The travel guides, web sites, and forums have a lot of enticing information about snorkeling/diving experiences but I'm still not clear about where to stay and where to snorkel.
Anyone have any suggestions??

Snorkeling - I'm not too picky. Anything from 5' to 15' with coral, fish, etc. would be great. Feeding (friendly) nurse sharks and rays would be gravy!

Accomodations - Very basic is fine. Clean rooms, electricity, running water, not too far from food, beach, docks, air conditioning (if it's needed at that time of the year). Don't need nightlife, fancy restaurant, etc. Preferably less than $60 per day per person.

Also, if I go alone, are there places at the beaches with other people in the water where I can safely snorkel alone?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

just returned from Blackbird Caye. It was ok but with nothing to offer. Possible it has a management problem. gift shop was empty. and the resort a little run down.

I would not stay there again. The diving was just OK by Roatan and Cozume standards.

Bernie

I stayed at this little hut on the water and it was cheap, just the basics, no a/c, but there was a fan and the ocean breeze was cooling enough. It was called Trends Beachfront Hotel. Ask to get the cabana. The reef isn't swimming distance, but you can get a local to take you out there for like $15 US and a tour of the island from the water. His name is Creek and can be found hanging out at the SandBox restaurant. Not much to do on Caye Caulker, its very layed back, a few bars, a disco, restaurants. You are just a water taxi away from San Pedro if you want some more "urban" life. And there are several dive and tour ops on Caye Caulker that run trips daily. The mayan rruin trip up the north river was cool.

Bernie,
Thanks for the warning. With an empty gift shop I guess that you couldn't even get a t-shirt that said "I Survived Blackbird Caye." Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Loel

Wendy,
Sounds like you had a better experience on Caye Caulker. The "little hut" sounds pretty good.
Do you think a snorkeler would have much to see right off the beach?
Loel

I think it would be a little far to swim. Just find a little boat to get out there. They are cheap. Also there were tons of nurse sharks and rays. Its called shark-ray alley.

I would recommend staying on Ambergris Caye. Been there twice and the snorkeling is quite good at Hol Chan and around the rest of the island. There are a few more creature comforts than in Caye Caulker, but there really isn't much of a "night life" there except at the occassional local bar.

As for accomodations, I would stay away from the big places like Journey's End or Ramon's - they'll probably be a bit expensive. I stayed at Caribbean Villas and they were really great at a reasonable price.

Check out accomodations in your price range at www.ambergriscaye.com.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the reply.
I'm wondering about your experience in shallow areas.
I would prefer snorkeling in 12' or less water. I can dive deeper but my ears become clogged after a while and I have trouble clearing them.
The divesites page at www.ambergris.com has a lot of information but most of it is about deeper sites for diving rather than snorkeling.
Do you have any ideas about sites that are 12' deep or less and still have a good amount of underwater life to see?
Loel

I agree with the poster who suggested caye caulker.
There is not any reef snorkeling to speak of directly off the shore but there are any number of outfits that will take you out to hol chan or the shark-ray alley area for very little money. I like Ras Creek and Chocolate (both the names of guys who run snorkleing trips). With either of these guys you are likly to get island history, a native's up-close-and-personal experience with the reef, and a boat cooked snack of lobster or conch that they catch while you are snorkeling with them. Can't beat it.
I suggest Frenchies dive op for diving or to heading out to farther reaches for snorkleing.

I have to chime in here--I think you would really enjoy Belize but there really isn't any snorkeling available from shore anywhere in Belize. The reef is close to land at various points, but would be too far to swim to from shore. Snorkeling from the beach at any of the hotels won't provide the kind of snorkeling I"m sure you're looking for--it would just be sand and grass.

Like the others have said, you can snorkel Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley, which is very close to Ambergris Caye, but you have to take a boat to get there. There is another snorkeling spot farther north off of Ambergris Caye--I think it's called Mexico Rocks? But again, you have to take a boat to get there. Most of the dive ops in Belize offer the snorkeling trips--sometimes they'll run snorkelers out with the divers and drop them off at a shallower spot. But the snorkeling trips don't cost very much, so doing that might satisfy your snorkeling urge.

If you're not a diver and snorkeling from shore is of utmost importance I would really recommend that you look into Roatan or Cozumel or maybe one of the Carribbean islands. However, if snorkeling is not the determining factor in your decision, then Belize offers everything else you're looking for--jungle tours, Mayan ruins, wildlife out the wazzoo and just enough going on to keep you happy but still allow a relaxing vacation.

Appreciate the feedback from both of you. Since my last post I have found more information online and it seems that there are many opportunites for boat rides to snorkeling spots for reasonable prices.
I've also been checking out lodging on Caulker and Ambergris. The rates are lower on Caulker and the island looks great as a place to stay.
Anyone have any experience with the houses that are available for short term rental on Caulker?
Any suggestions for low rate options on Ambergris?
I appreciate everyone's input.
Loel

Back
Top Bottom