Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darious

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,

I'm both new to diving and underwater photography and am looking at picking up a strobe set and am starting to suffer from information overload and was hoping for some advice.

I have a Canon Powershot SD850IS with a Canon WP-DC15 case and I've been pretty happy with the results I've gotten from them so far - at least during the daylight.

Factors I'm trying to balance here:
--I'm currently in the Caribbean but am looking for a general purpose unit.
--Night dives. Definitely night dives. I've gotten a few good results using just the internal flash w/ diffuser along with getting real close but I've also lost more than a few shots trying to maneuver. Things could be easier.
--Budget is a factor but not to the point of sacrificing basic functionality. You invariably get what you pay for and I'd rather pay a little more and get a system that I'll work with for several years. However there's certainly no need for a full professional rig and besides... I'm still paying off my scuba gear.
Crying3.gif

Right now I'm looking at an Optical Ocean Double Lighting package. It's just a wee bit out of my budget comfort level but it seems at the top of the bang-for-the-buck curve.

Any suggestions/recommendations/alternatives would be welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom