Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inked Medic

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My diving is turning into my buddy and me heading to a lake for the weekend and jumping in. However, since it's typically just the two of us, I have some concerns regarding the security of my vehicle. I've look into purchasing a Hitch Safe but that isn't exactly a cheap option. I'm not a fan of using the magnetic key boxes either because those can be found and it's rather obvious if you're crawling around under your truck to stick it to your drive train or some other "safe" location.

So, what do you do to hide your keys? :confused:

Hitch Safe, Key Storage Hitches, Hide Car Key, Auto Key Safe, Trailer Hitch Covers, Receivers

That's a good idea; it would have to be 100% no-flooding though as I have keyless entry.

Hey,
For really long dives, I just swallow the key and collect it on the way out. :wink:

Seriously, I usually just put it in my wetsuit, in bathing suit. Sometimes, I use a watertight key container instead.

I just worry about saltwater getting to the key's electronics - keys are a lot cheaper than small container so in seawater it's in sealed box (drysuit will do too).

plain old key - on a string around neck inside WS/DS/ or in a BC pocket as some have a clip

if electronic (you have too fancy of a vehicle - LOL) then in a dry bag/pouch inside WS/DS/pocket in BC, etc.

I take the remote fob off the key ring and bolt snap the non-electronic key to a d-ring inside my drysuit leg pocket. Ocean, fresh... doesn't bother the key and I make sure I shake it dry before sticking it in the lock.

My vehicle has a chipped key, but I am told you can get a valet key cut - only good for unlocking the doors. Leave your remote & chipped key in the vehicle, and you can carry the valet key anywhere convenient, including on a high tech piece of string around your neck :). My wetsuit has a key pocket, so I am going to get a valet key cut and carry it there.

I do have one of those chipped keys, but those are all fantastic ideas. Thank you!

i know you said no magnetic keyholder but i still think its the best option, nobody is going to be suspicious if you open the hood and hide it there, or behind the license plate

if not, can always just take the valet key, so no remote to be damaged underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom