Where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWCC ready

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have money and time, and have decided on taking an extended vacation to Utila. While there I hope to complete my Rescue diver and probably also dive master (just for the experience). Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, I hope to spend at least 3 months there (starting in mid April). I think the least expensive thing for me to do would probably be to rent an apartment, any advice on how much that should cost? Or maybe you guys know of a hotel that has efficiency room you can rent by the month? Thanks for your help.

Casey

Also, if you know of a place that has an olympic swimming pool, or a bay that I could use for swim workout. That would be helpful too.

I...have decided on an extended vacation to Utila.....if you know of a place that has an olympic swimming pool....That would be helpful too.

I want you to have a great three months, but I do have to ask- Do you know where you have selected to go and why asking about any sized swimming pool for swim workouts doesn't mesh very well? You may be heading for a major disappointment in expectations- maybe not.

:search: ?

Utila is a great destination for a lot of reasons, but please understand that nothing that goes along with finding an Olympic Pool will be on the island, either.

It is, for now, a throwback to the 1950's of the Caribbean. Enjoy it for what it is, but don't expect a golf course, or TGIFriday's, either. (And thank gods for that!)

I see from your other posts that you are very young. Go- have a ball... expect nothing... get everything!

If you have already picked a training outfit, work with them to find a place. Sometimes they'll include several days or more accomodations if you are taking the DM courses.

If you haven't chosen an operation, don't worry about that either. There are plenty of choices in both operators and hotels as well as apartments. You can actually just go there and decide all this stuff then. You get off the ferry and walk either direction down the street and you'll find anything you need. Get a room for the night and then spend a day or two talking to dive operators and getting advice on places to stay for a few months. It's just a laid back place with no worries.

RoatanMan is certainly correct about pools and luxuries. You'll be at the ocean daily with plenty of calm places to swim.

HAVE FUN!

Bay Islands College of Diving has a pool. BICD | Scuba Diving in Utila | PADI Training| Honduras | - Home It looks more like a big hot tub. Click the Pool link here to see a VR tour.

Colibri Hill has a resort sized pool IIRC. And a couple of the out of town resorts - Laguna Beach and Utopia Village do also afaik. Would be prohibiitively expensive to stay at either for three months though. And all access is by boat as they're on the other side of the lagoon channel.

There's a few sandy beach areas along the east side of the island that looked like they might be calm as they're protected by the reef just offshore. Short walk/ATV ride from town. http://www.aboututila.com/Photos/Aerial-Utila-Town-East-Harbor-02.jpg Some are private property. And I don't know how they are just offshore, we went by almost daily on a boat. There is a beach in that area also that has some facilities - can't remember the name.

Rooms/Apt's for rent: http://www.aboututila.com/AccomInfo/Index.htm

Do you need a Visa to stay on Utila for that long?

Last edited:
ncchuck - That's what I plan on doing

diversteve - No, I believe US citizens have 90 days before needing a Visa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom