Where to store tanks in an RV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Wife and I are retired and finally bought a motorhome to cruise around in. Just her, two big German Shepherds, me and our toys. Our "Toys" includes my diving gear. We're planning a trip this winter that includes a meandering wander down thru Florida that just happens to hit most of my old diving/training/stomping grounds. (Honest Honey! It just turned out that way! I didn't plan it!! )

There's plenty of room inside the motorhome since it's huge and it's just us and the critters. I could stuff my gear anyplace but I'm not sure about the tanks. (Steel 72's) I'm old school and use a Horse Collar B/C so my tanks all have backpack carriers on them. They don't roll around when they're laying down but how to secure them? I have this fear of small heavy items flying thru the air inside a vehicle in an accident, intentional or otherwise! Things like toolboxes, ammo boxes and tanks usually leave dents when they hit people.

So where is the most acceptable place to store a tank inside a motorhome while traveling? There are storage compartments in the sides but the bottoms are not as solid as what's inside the coach. I worry that five thousand miles of bumpy roads would cause damage. I don't want to just lay them on the floor inside someplace without securing them. Where do other RV'rs store them while traveling?

Are you towing a vehicle with the motorhome? If yes, use the space in there to secure them....

look on Amazon for tank storage... there is a version of the pool noodle rack on steroids....

Put the tanks in the basement storage if it's large enough and strong enough, and the regs/computers inside somewhere (under the bed might have enough space depending on what you carry). Other stuff wherever you can cram it.

My RV has a compartment for the Propane tank but it's open on the bottom. I think that's required. The other storage compartments all have preformed sealed "tubs". I don't know if they're strong enough to hold up to thousands of miles of bouncing so I won't store them there. My current best idea is to store both of them on one of the dinette seats. It seats four and has seat belts bolted thru to the frame. There'd be room since there's only two humans on board. They will both have backpack harnesses on them so strapping them in securely with the seat belts won't be a problem.

The hard case looks neat but I'd still have the problem of where to secure it. At this point, no tow car will be attached but that will change if we find the right one.

look on Amazon for tank storage... there is a version of the pool noodle rack on steroids....

Are you talking about these:

Polar Whale 2 Scuba Tank Holders Heavy Duty Durable Black Foam Organizer

Amazon Tank Storage.jpg

I'm not worried about them rolling around. I'm worried about them flying around in the event of an accident. Something as compact and heavy as a steel 72 flying thru the interior of a motorhome would leave a serious dent in a skull! I'll probably just use the seat belts on the dinette seats to secure them down.

Back
Top Bottom