Where was I? Or, diving with Playa Mia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise which stopped for a day at Cozumel. My girlfriend (who does not dive) and I had originally planned on going to Chankanaab where I would hopefully pick up a dive buddy and do some diving off of the beach.

Chankanaab was closed, so with no good backup plan we ended up at Playa Mia. Playa Mia offers scuba diving and after flip flopping a little I signed up for a two tank dive with them. I was a little hesitant - kind of like getting seafood from a steakhouse - but it ended up being a great experience. I'm not sure what reefs we hit though, and if anyone familiar with the area could help me out I'd appreciate it.

It ended up just being me and the guide diving (forgot his name - long haired Mexican guy). We took a little boat off of the dock at Playa Mia and took a left, south along the coast I believe. Short ride, maybe five or ten minutes, and then we dropped in. The reef was beautiful! Dropped off on the outside to over a thousand feet, I guess. Max depth was 85'.

Second dive was north of Playa Mia a little ways (again, maybe five or ten minutes). Very shallow, max depth was 35' with no drop off - sand on both sides of the reef. This reef was pretty banged up and not very high from the sand to the top of the reef, maybe ten feet or so.

So... two questions. First, any ideas as to where we dove? What are the reefs in that area? And two, anyone else have any experience diving with the guys at Playa Mia? I ended up paying $75 for the two dives, both of which were relatively short. 35 minutes on the first dive and 40 on the second. In neither case did I get a full dive, air-wise, but that was fine with me as my girlfriend was on the beach and I didn't have time, nor did I want to make a full day out of it. Worked out great diving with the guide from Playa Mia - nice guy.

Thanks!

Brian

Hmmm. I didn't know Playa Mia had a dive shop. I used to go there for SI with Aldora.

The first site may be Santa Rosa which is very close to Playa Mia to the south. Your second dive sounds awfully shallow but it could possibly be San Francisco Reef. We usually dive it on a deeper profile, but is is slightly north of Playa Mia. But on 2nd thought, I would bet the 2nd dive was Cardona which is about 35 feet and non spectacular. I guess that's why I've never dived Cardona which is directly north of San Francisco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom