Where would you go-St. Lucia, St. John, Turks, Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdanz24

Reaction score
Hi-

I'm new and trying to plan a week's vacation for me and my husband. We are both avid divers, but do want to do some topside exploring like hiking, kayaking, etc. too. I am looking at St. Lucia, St. John, Turks and Caicos and the Caymans (Little Caye)... Can anyone tell me where they'd go if given the choice? Also, if there are any operators you can recommend?

Thanks!
kdanz

I haven't been there in Dominica in a number of years, but the diving was excellent and the Boiling Lake hike was unforgettable. There were a couple of other good hikes as well. I don't know about the kayaking.

We sailed in, but I presume you would fly in. We stayed both on the southern tip (Anchorage hotel I think) as well as a couple other anchorages on the west shore. It is a very poor country, and I didn't see nor was I looking for a lot of night clubbing. We were always vigilant as far as petty theft was concerned.

Saba also has both excellent diving and good hiking up thru the rain forest. It is a very unique place which as far as I can tell has no reason to be other than it is, so accept it. My wife's favorite island is Nevis but I thought both the diving and the hiking was mediocre.

I agree with Loopy. If you were looking only for diving, I would say Little Cayman wins by a landslide. But if you want to do some hiking as well, then I would strongly suggest Dominica. There are numerous day hikes you can do up high in the mountains, though dense tropical rain forest, on your way to dazzling springs and past cooling waterfalls.

Back
Top Bottom