Where would YOU go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I have a good idea of some of the sights I'd like to dive. Everyone here has been very helpful. I've picked out 11 sites that I'd like to hit: 1,000 Steps, Karpata, Bari Reef, Salt Pier, Andrea I/II, Cliffs, Angel City, Rappel, Vista Blue, and Hilma Hooker (I like wrecks).

Next, Thanks to those who expressed their appreciation for my service. It's good to hear, and it's an honor to serve.

AZ_Zoner, I left a message in your PM inbox.

T.C.,
i really question Andrea I/II. I did dive last summer at Andrea II and it was by far the worse dive I did. Did all the others mentioned and they were worthy indeed!!!

T.C.,
i really question Andrea I/II. I did dive last summer at Andrea II and it was by far the worse dive I did. Did all the others mentioned and they were worthy indeed!!!

The Andrea dives were excellent before the last hurricane.
However, the hurricane did a real number on them.

Good point DeputyDan. they were excellent sites before the last hurricane hit. Must of been more effected than most. there is damage done to all sites by two hurricanes that have hit, that i know of in last 10-15 years.

We were in Bonaire (Plaza Resort) last October. We talked the divemaster into letting us drift dive the Salt Pier as a second morning dive. It is awesome. Yes, we did many boat dives and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Later in the week we drove to the Salt Pier about an hour before dark. We casually geared up and entered the water about 15 minutes before sundown. We got to the pier just as it became dark and we had a SUPER dive.

The Salt Pier is very easy to navigate. Just dive from one set of pilings to the next and count how many you pass. Turn around and count back to where you started. If there is current just turn into it and go upstream 1/3 of a tank and drift with the current back to your starting point.

Enjoy your trip. Bonaire is really cool.

I'd start with the southern sites, as well as Bari Reef and Something Special. Since you're sister is new you'll want to watch for currents until she's comfortable. That said, Buddy's is where I ran into the stongest current between all dives on my 2 trips to Bonaire so far; it probably was just one of those days when it hit there. Once she's comfortable in the water definitely go north - Tolo and Karpata are not to be missed. I've heard Candyland is great, I'll see for myself in April. In the south Eighteen Palm, Red Slave, The Lake, Hilma Hooker, Angel City, Salt Pier, and Alice in Wonderland are all very good. Have fun, be safe.

We just returned (Sunday) from Bonaire, and I thought I'd close this for anyone interested by letting you all know which sites we dove.

We did: Buddy's Reef (4x because it was convienent and quite good), Joanne's Sunchi (Klein Bonaire), 1000 Steps, Weber's Joy, Front Porch (...sort of, the area was under construction), Bari Reef, Hilma Hooker Leonora's Reef (Klein Bonaire), Oil Slick Leap, La Machaca, Angel City, The Lake, Something Special, Andrea I, Old Blue / Tolo, Karpata, Keepsake (Klein Bonaire), Forest (Klein Bonaire), Hands Off (Klein Bonaire), and for the last dive, we dropped in at Captain Don's Habitat, near the La Machaca area, and drifted down to Buddy's Reef where we exited.

My sister wasn't confortable with night diving, so we didn't get to the Salt Pier. The currents didn't bother her much though. I thought that Andrea 1, and Oil Slick were still nice sites...But I didn't see them before the hurricane, so I can't compare.

It was awesome diving. I can't wait to go there again. Thanks to everyone for their recommendations, it was very helpful.

And now, I have a 4 day trip with my dive club from Kansas out to Key Largo. Whoo Hoo! More Diving!

I've just returned this Tuesday from Bonaire, I was there with a rather large group from Venezuela, we stayed from Feb/17 thru Feb/21.... We did 12 dives in total, visibility was good but not great (not the same that when I went on May 10'), we stayed at the Plaza Resort Bonaire.

We dove, 18th Palms (day&night), Hilma Hooker (twice), Aquarius, Invisibles (highly recommended), Salt Pier, Karpata, Capitan's Don Reef (Boat Dive), Margaret Bay, Bisé Morto (Washington Slaagbai, EXCELLENT!)and last but not least Boka Bartol (Washington Slaagbai, EVEN BETTER, we saw a Whale Shark).

I'm already planning a trip there this August!

Carlos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom