Where'd they go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reck Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
All I could do to get just six bugs today.. not complaining, but after last season, I guess I got spoiled. Heard from others bugs were a bit scarce. They were all over the place last week, go figure. Quite a few boats and divers without flags, Local LEO was out in force guarding the boat ramp, and hassling the law abiding folks. Great conditions, no current, viz was off a bit. Back at it tomorrow.

Dives last night in Pompano resulted in only about 1 or 2 lobster per diver on average. There were plenty of lobster but most seemed to be females with eggs. Some of the divers on the boat had been in Jupiter earlier in the day and indicated pickings were pretty scarce there as well.

We went out of WPB yesterday and then Boynton Beach today. Yesterday we saw ZIP. nothing, notta. The closest I got to seeing a lobster was seeing the remains of where someone (or something) had already been there. few antenna, and a few legs broken off and laying there but that was it.

Today there were 7 people on the boat and "we" got 6 lobster. one woman found 4, and the other woman found 2. The guys all struck out.

free dove both days on the shallow patch reefs(8-12FT) inside and within 2 miles of the north dry rocks(christ statue). easy limits(one 3 ft long rocky ledge had over 12 legal bugs) with above average #s and sizes(more eggers than normal). stopped on the way in today by the monroe county sherriffs marine unit for a check and they advised me that there were far fewer violations, less boaters and more vessels with their limits than previous years. the WX was terrific; bright sunshine and calm/1ft seas. i would have bet the upper keys waters would have been jammed with boaters but i observed far fewer this mini season,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I was out a week ago and they were everywhere. I went out this morning and the boat picked up almost 30 I think between 12 divers. My divebuddy and myself picked up 4 keepers and returned 4 nice sized female's carrying eggs. From what I heard the deeper water was better this time around. Hoping to have some better luck when the regular season opens.

Chase

3 guys off the beach Wednesday at midnight.
19 keepers with just as many in shorts and eggers in 2 hours 40 minutes submerged.
90% of them walking.

Wednesday noontime 3 tanker

tank #1
3 divers
40'-50' patch reefs north of Hillsboro Inlet.
We found 4 bugs.
2 shorts, 1 egger, and 1 keeper.
1:15 dive time.

Tank #2
3 divers
50'-65' LBTS deeper reefs
10 or 12 bugs.
4 shorts, 4 eggers, 2 whoppers, and 2 just legal.
1 hour submerged.

Tank #3
3 divers.
Patch reef in greenie water outside of the Pompano Drop Off.
30 minutes of nothing, and we went home.

Thursday.....
Went to work even though the day was a scheduled off at work.
Saving that PL day for a better time.
Cancelled Thursday evening single tank because they are just so thin, and I already have 6 tails in the freezer.

The bugs are scattered but available.
I think they are here, but either tucked in tight, or still deep in quantity.

The hunt continues until March 31st 2013.

Chug
Still crazy after all these years.

Went out of Hillsboro yeaterday afternoon. Hit a secret spot I knew was holding them. I got 11 in a 22 minute dive and my buddy cleaned up with 6 in the same 22 minutes. Since they are all cleaned up now, doesn't hurt to say where.... We were on the anchor of the Rodeo 25 wreck. Of the 17 keepers we got there were also 2 with eggs and 1 short that was left behind. Anchor is in 140 feet of water, so the narc can hit you and NDL's drop pretty fast. But, not a bad 22 minutes of diving for this years mini season!

Just two on Thurs for me. Current really picked up later in the day. Maybe a little tropical blow will help things out a bit..... Not too much of one though....

The lobsters were deep this year, but most were small and a lot were pregnant. They're out there though.

North of Boca inlet, 4 on Wednesday between two divers, 8 on Thursday between four divers. At least six females with eggs were seen and released. Two smalls and ... a few that gotta away :>)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom