Which amperage setting for 4.5ah 16.8v battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have what looks like the same charger for my salvo 4.5A 14.4 volt NIMH batteries. It came from Salvo with the selector switch glued in the 1.4A position . . .

The batteries inside these lights are 4/3 A sized cells... doesn't mean a whole lot except that it tells you what they can handle in term of charge / draw rates.

4/3 A cells can be charged at up to a 1C (1*capacity) charge rate, which for 4500 mAh cells (4.5 amp cells) would be a 4.5 amp charge rate.

A 1C charge rate will charge your packs in 1 hour.

At 1.4 amps (about a 1/3C charge), it should take 3.5-4 hours to charge your battery.

At .7 amps (about a 1/6C charge), it'd take around 6-7 hours to charge your battery.

Do the different amp rates matter? A little bit...

High amp rate (4.5 amps) will heat your batteries up nicely, charge them quick, and maybe take a little out of the lifetime of your battery. You'll still get around 1000 cycles though.

Lower amp rates, like the .7 amp rate, are good for balancing out the cells in your battery pack. A 4.5 amp pack at 16.8 volts is made up of 14 individual cells, which probably don't charge exactly the same. If your batteries aren't performing like they used to, it may be useful to charge at a lower rate... although ideally you want to do it at 1/10 C (.45 amps).

The 1.4 amp setting should be just fine, and is a good middle road approach. You won't charge them super fast... which puts less strain on the batteries, and is less likely to create large voltage differences between cells.

If you notice your light's burn time isn't what it used to be, try the .7 amp charge, it'll probably get some of the burn time back for you.

Also remember that NiMH cells need to be run a few times before they start performing at their best... you'll notice that you get a little bit more burn time out of each charge for the first half dozen cycles or so.

Hope that's helpful... I have a bunch of experience with NiMH batteries in R/C racing / flying applications. The same rules apply for dive lights =)

-Brandon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. It's charging at 1.4 right now. :)

I had this pack built from Sanyo batteries. The pack is smaller than the one over at batteryspace, which was helpful :) I picked it up charged, but was concerned when the 50w halogen only lasted about 5 minutes. They cycled the battery a few times and I also changed the bulb to a 20w halogen (which is still pretty darn bright!) and the burn time was about 1.5 hours.

Thanks again
Jeff

I had the same question for my 12 volt 4.5amp homebrew battery pack. I just leave it on the .7 amp/hour setting all night so the next morning, I can take it diving and know that I have not heated the batteries up to damage them. Just my .02.

diverryan:
I had the same question for my 12 volt 4.5amp homebrew battery pack. I just leave it on the .7 amp/hour setting all night so the next morning, I can take it diving and know that I have not heated the batteries up to damage them. Just my .02.
The drawback to charging at 0.7A / or C/6 rate is that your battery charger is more likely to overcharge the batteries.

Fast chargers detect full charge by monitoring the change in battery voltage vs. time. When the battery reaches full charge, the battery voltage stops rising as rapidly (and in NiCd may actually decrease a bit). Slower charging rates make this change harder to detect and makes it more likely the charger will continue to charge the batteries even though they are fully charged.

Most fast chargers will eventually terminate the charge cycle based upon elapsed time, but overcharging is hard on the batteries.

A simple test to see if this is happening is to see if the charging stops after 6 or 7 hours, as you expect, or if it continues on for whatever the timeout period is on your charger.

Back
Top Bottom