Which BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any brands that anyone would suggest looking into? Someone in another thread of mine gave some suggestions but I would like to get the discussion going here since it's more appropriate. The Zeagle Tech looks nice in pictures but I would have to check it out at the LDS.

I am in the same boat as Daggnabit.

At the moment I am renting the BC and regulator everytime I go diving. Now it is getting to the point where I really have to look for a BC and regulator to buy, especially after my recent diving trip to Vancouver Island, BC. The hassle to deal with rental gear has become a real pain in the neck.

I wanted to try a BPW BC but the shop did not have any to rent. At the end one of the owners of the shop let me use his BPW BC. After messing around with it to adjust the straps etc. for about 20/30 minutes I hit the water and began to struggle with its super short inflator hose. (I did not realize how short it was when I was on land, unfortunately). I kept trying to descend and operate the buttons on the hose but I could not reach them comfortably and my arm got sore and tired. I became so frustrated and stressed out that after a while I had to abort the dive. I went back to the shop and got one of the normal rental jacket styles BC, the only kind of BC that I have been using so far. Finally I was able to dive without BC hassle and stress (a part from the fact that I could not add weight in the pockets because they were glued tight shut!)

I would like to try again the PBW but I don't know where to rent it because it seems to me that all the dive shops do not rent this kind of BC. They rental stuff is usually old and not even close to the models that I am thinking to get. It is ironic that all the articles I have been reading about selecting and purchasing gear in scuba magazines recommend that you try the gear before you commit yourself in buying it. Well… the guys who write those articles do not tell the full story! It is a nightmare to try the gear both on land and, especially, in the water that you are actually thinking to buy. In my case the situation is more aggravating because I am female and small so even if the shop has the brand and model that I want and allows me to try it in the shop it doesn’t have my size!

Now I have heard about a Scuba Pro offer. If you buy one of their regulators and BCs you get a computer for free. Considering that my budget for scuba gear is rather limited it is very tempting to go for it no matter what. So forget about the PBW BC, change of plan! I am thinking to buy a Knighthawk or Ladyhawk. One thing that I don’t like much about them is the release mechanism of the integrated weights. You have to mess around with a buckle before you can pull out the weight and by looking at the pictures in the catalogue they do not seem to have the inflator-integrated air source (a feature that seems a safer option than having a standard octopus around your right arm, so I have been told by more experienced divers).

How will I find out whether these two kinds of BCs will fit me or not it’s a mystery! My local Scuba Pro dive shop does not have any. I don’t know anybody who would be willing to lend me one. So I have to scout the whole Puget Sound area and contact shops that carry the Scuba Pro BCs hoping to be struck by luck…

i totally agree with the bp/w recommendations. i personally started off with a recreational bc.... went through some upgrades and finally reached the point i should have started with (hindsight is always 20/20). i have a steel bp for local diving and an aluminum for travel.

Heh, I did the same thing....had a nice back inflate BC and quickly realized that I wished I'd gone for a bp/w set-up that would be more streamlined and allow for "growing room" (not literally....but into more technical diving). I recently picked up a DSS bp/w and LOVE it!

To the OP, if you are interested in a very nice set-up at a reasonable cost, check out the DSS subforum and talk to Tobin....very nice guy and super helpful!

So I have to scout the whole Puget Sound area and contact shops that carry the Scuba Pro BCs hoping to be struck by luck…

Have a look at the SCUBAPRO website, and go to their Dealer Locator. It is a pretty cool one, and there are SCUBAPRO Dealers all over that area.

Good Luck!!

Sam

Last edited:
SoakedLontra.....the problem you had with the bp/w is a common one to people who are used to diving with traditional bcd's. The inflator hose on alot of BP/W's is designed to be streamlined and short. The difference in diving them is that a diver using a bp/w uses the dump valve on the lower left of the wing and decends in the horizontal (skydive) position. I currently use a halcyon setup for rec and tech diving as well as instructing in. the only time i dump from the inflator is to just get me below the surface then I'm in the horizontal position and using the dump valve on the lower left. For anyone who chooses to go the route of bp/w, I suggest possibly taking a small class using it with an instructor to teach you how to use it, because it is different, and it avoids the stress you experienced. I learned taking a fundimentals class/intro to tech diving. I also have the luxury now that the shop I teach at offers open water students bp/w's to use for class since we are a halcyon dealer.
As for finding a scubapro dealer, use the site and try calling around to shops. Mention that you want to buy one and see if they offer demos. Most shops where I teach from jump at that because if you buy one its $$$ for them.
Then the whole octo or combo inflator options and questions....there are pluses and minuses to both. Its more a personal preference and is always debated on here. Just depends on what type of diving you are doing.
Daggnabit, there are tons of brands out there. Everyone has their preferences and it is always debated. I personally like and trust Halcyon for the diving I do. However Dive rite, oms, salvo, oxycheck, dss all make great stuff. I suggest that if you are going to get into cold water north atlantic wreck diving, find and talk to a good instructor in that area, and find out what is required. Also, take classes if you have never dove doubles before and learn the art of doing wreck diving there because it is advanced.
Hope it helps and safe diving!

I totally agree with the back plate and wing.
In the U.K, Zeagle is not a common make, But I think they are fantastic. in fact I have now got the whole family into Zeagle wings. you would not go far wrong with a Tec Pac if you want a wing for serious diving.

....BP/W...I hit the water and began to struggle with its super short inflater hose. (I did not realize how short it was when I was on land, unfortunately).…
Pmetz pretty well summed it up.

DSS is one brand that I am familiar with that uses a short inflater hose. Talking with Tobin, the owner of DSS and all around great guy, he explained why he uses a short hose and it made perfect sense. Here is my interpretation of what he said.

Point One: To dump air from your BC using your inflater hose you are taught to fully extend the hose over your head and then press the dump valve. Sound familiar? This requires two events to occur 1.) diver to stop swimming and go vertical or at least at a 45 degree angle in the water and 2.) diver to fully extend the hose above their head to create a fairly straight hose and angle from the air in the BC to the exit. Now lets look at the real world of what divers really do. Look at your buddy when they use the hose to dump (or yourself for that matter). 99.9% of the time they end up with the hose next to their ear leaving a U (think sewer gas trap under the sink) in the inflater hose. This inhibits the ability to dump air. Solution, shorter hose that is fully extended the way most divers really use their hose.

Point Two: If the diver uses the back dump valve on the Wing you don't have to stop or break trim to dump air. Just grab the cord, and pull up.

I will confess that when I bought my DSS BP/W (they are by the way fantastic) I looked at the hose that was just long enough to reach my mouth for oral inflation with a little hesitation. but he is right. Shorter hose is easier to use and I really don't use it anymore much any way.

BP/W Better trim, easy to configure to how you want to dive. Less is more.

My $0.02 go BP/W. To be specific Deep Sea Suppl (DSS) is well made and reasonably priced. I dropped weight when I changed from jacket BC to BP/W. All that padding and trapped air gone. My jacket fully empty of air, floats. All that unnecessary foam padding and nooks and crannies trapping air. In my rinse tank I would be swishing my BC around and here would come a big air bubble from the BC of air trapped somewhere in all that material. I got a puncture in the BC, that could not be patched. That required me to buy a new BC. :shocked2:Get a hole in a DSS PB, unzip the external shell, remove damaged interior bladder, either patch or replace, and put it back together. Piece of cake. :D

When seeking local advise, I would suggest talking with fellow active divers over instructors recommendations. Why? Instructors may have a contract with the shop they teach out of requiring them to wear (new or not more than 2 years old) and endorse/recommend only equipment sold by the employing shop. The instructor may also receive compensation on your purchases from the employing shop. So talk with active local divers who dive often and do the type of diving you wan do. Remember they sell Fords and Chevrolet's so each person has their own criteria for what they like. It is you who must take the information for several sources and process it to make the right decision for you.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions!

Well I did managed to try an AIR2 back inflated Scuba Pro Ladyhawk BC. It did force me to re-think the way I usually dump air from the BC (by holding the inflator hose upright etc.). To begin with I struggled to locate the dump valves (one is on the front and the other on the back). After a couple of dives it became easier. I haven't mastered it yet, but I can see that it is just a matter of keeping practicing.

My major concern with the AIR2 Ladyhawk and BCs that have a similar configuration is not being able to close the valve under the AIR2 all the way. I practiced air share and it turned out to be a nightmare to orally inflate the BC both under water and on the surface. People keep telling me that it is a matter of getting used to the stiff buttons and the design of the valve, with practice I will eventually get it!

I am not totally convinced that this is a valid argument. My hands are pretty small, my wrists a bit weak (maybe I should do some weight lifting...) and why on earth the gear makers do not design diving equipment that is more user friendly rather than me trying to adapt to gear that causes troubles in the first place?

My next move is to try a Back Plate Wing BC and see how it goes. It is really tempting to fall for the Scuba Pro deal of getting one BC and regulator with a free computer, especially if you don't have much money...But I have decided to hang on until somehow I will make a final decision.

One shop owner told me that she has never seen anybody testing a BC, or other gear, before purchasing it before. She made me realize that all the time that I have been spending in shopping around, testing, reading info and asking questions in the Scuba Board is not waisted after all but I cannot bloody wait for the time when this is all over and I can settle with my own gear!

Back
Top Bottom