Which Brand of BC to BUY *NEW DIVER*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ofb11

Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to start dive lessons in a few weeks and I want to learn on my own BCD. The first problem seems to be many of the makers like aeris, Mares and others don't make XXL size BCD's which I will be needing.

My main question is What Brand and MODEL?

I have a friend who is a dive master that says Dacor is Crap, Sherwood is Crap and only seems to be in favor of the BCD's that are very expensive. I am trying to find a good BCD for around $300 with integrated weights. Of the many choices and brands with my budget, What options am I left with. So far I have only found GENESIS Brand BCD's in XXL online and a SeaQuest for almost $400 (more than I want to spend).

I need Advice!! Please Help!!

Thanks,

Dave

Dallas

Hey Dave,

I'm sure there have been threads about this before, so you should try searching for them.

Your Dive Master buddy is partially right - in my opinion. You want to get a bcd that fits you well; one that you're comfortable in. Sometimes the cheapos will satisfy divers, but more than often not.

In that range however is the Aqualung? Maverick. It's weight integrated, and is the most common bcd in dive store rentals here. They seem to hold together well.

Welcome Dave,

Don't overlook a used BC. There are often used BCs posted here on the board that may would do nicely. You may want to do a word search but I remember there have been a couple of Zeagle Rangers here recently. That BC is VERY adjustable and darn near impossible to distroy. I have a med one that I wear at about 150lbs and it will easily adjust so my 220lb+ and 6in taller friend can wear it . Most good quality dive gear will last a very long time so buying used is really not a problem, just have it checked by a equipment tech before you use it.

Leisurepro sells a stainless steel backplate with Dive Rite Transpac with Travel Wings for $339.

Otherwise, in your position, I'd probably buy the Sherwood Freedom or Avid from LP - for $320 or $200 respectively. Sherwood does not make crap.

I have to agree with jonnythan, sherwood is not crap, i have a sherwood bc and a zeagle, i have a set of dacor regs along with a set of Mares, I have atleast two of everything, of course i have been diving for a while too. To me, its not about what anyone suggests or prefers, its about what you like, proper fit, and wheher or not it suits your puposes. if you are going to go technical diving anywhere in your future, such as caving, then get a bc with wings, if you are just going to dive in a quarry or some springs, then get what ever feels comfortable, the best advice in mho, dont buy just yet, your lds probably provides the gear for the pool out of their rentals right? if so, try out a couple of different ones and see what you like, what you dont and go from there. things to consider could be D-rings, trim weight pouches(very important to me), pockets, access to pockets (are they actually functional DURING the dive?) cumberbun or snaps, or both? what do you want, its YOUR gear. dont let anyone persuade you on what to get.

jonnythan once bubbled...
Leisurepro sells a stainless steel backplate with Dive Rite Transpac with Travel Wings for $339.

Otherwise, in your position, I'd probably buy the Sherwood Freedom or Avid from LP - for $320 or $200 respectively. Sherwood does not make crap.

Actually..

scubatoys.com has the Sherwood Freedom for $229.95.

Can't beat that with a stick.

Usually the BCD is supplied during your certification class. If possible try a couple different models during the class.

Once you have finished the class, the dive shop should let you try equipment before you buy, at least in their pool.

As you read the threads on BCD's you will find a lot of strong opinions and a lot of disagreement, particularly among some of the more experienced technical divers on scubaboard. Read as much of that stuff as you can handle, and then give some serious thought to the kind of diving you will be doing before you plunk down your money for anything.

FWIW, don't rule out a backplate and wing. You'll find tons of information on the configuration by searching.

Generally, BP&W's can be fit quite easily to your size.

Halcyon is the brand that I dive. It can be ordered with the so-called active control ballast system, which is somewhat like integrated weights.

Other people make them. In particular, FredT makes his own plates. Oxycheq makes plates and wings, as do a number of other manufacturers, including Deep Outdoors and some others that I can't think of right now.

The only downside is that Halcyon's are a bit more than you want to spend. There aren't many deals, but you might find a used one. I'm not sure how much the others cost.

I bought a dive rite transpak II when I first bought my rig in case I wanted to go technical later. Now, I am finding that the transpak won't do what I want it to do for technical diving. Many people say that the backplate and wing is more comfortable. It gives you more room to manuever, and the stainless steel backplate usually weighs between 6-12 pounds which is weight you can take off of your weight belt. Ask around, maybe you can test dive a few different setups. If you do go backplate/wing route, you may want to check out the hogarthian style of bc rigging on the internet or DIR rigging, which is essentially hogarthian rigging.

Jeremy

:) Thanks for all the input. My major problem is that I will need a size XXL and the larger shop in the Dallas area doesn't have XXL's in stock. The shop I will be taking classes at has an XXL but it is $500, it was a nice BC but more than I need and can afford. So I am sort of stuck with the need to buy online and hope that the XXL BC fits well. I think I am going to take the advice of the person that suggested that I just use the BC provided with the training.

I have really been looking at the Genesis COBRA XXL for $292 which has many D-rings and Rodale's seems to like Genesis. I just wish I had a chance to try it on before I buy it. I know there are bigger divers like myself out there, I wish the Dive shops would have some XXL's that don't cost 2 car payments to try on.

Thanks ALL FOR YOUR HELP! If you have experience with the Genesis Cobra let me know. I would get the Sherwood LP has for $229 but no XXL.

Thanks,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom