Which brand of tank?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beejw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I've been told by the guys who are runing this course i got into that i have to buy my own tanks, mostly because we'll be doing a lot of shore dives.

The conundrum is...which company is better to buy from, Faber or Luxfer.

Also, what size tank would i be looking for, considering ill be doing mostly cold-ish (16C) water diving, and i use my air up a little faster then my buddies anyway?

Im thinking that going with the Faber steel because i wont have to take as much lead down with me.

any advice?

cheers

beejw

Yup. If the water is cold enough you'll get a weight advantage, go for steel. You can get bigger tanks, too, at the same size and weight (hp100s). Win-win!

The trade-off is they cost a lot more than aluminum. But they also last a lot longer, and their resale value is a lot higher.

My advice is to go with steel for your cylinders. Either HP or LP/95s or 100s, you can't go wrong. Just a bit more expensive, but worth it in the long run. I have PST E7-100s and love them.

LobstaMan

ok, not that I will be buying tanks any time soon... but from what I've read on a variety of threads (although I will try all options before buying)... I think I'm interested in some SS.

I do mostly salt warm water diving, but will hopefully start quarry diving in the spring. However, I am a very very bouyant female who needs about 18# lead in warm salt water. Add to the fact I'm quite short and I'm thinking a heavy ss that can pack more air into less space might be a good option for me??? thoughts?

If you need lots of weight to sink, steel helps you drop some from your belt. I'd look into the heavier Fabers, in your situation, rather than the Worthington/PSTs I usually recommend.

Although SS usually means Stainless Steel... not steel tanks. Was there something different you were referring to?

First you are not comparing apples to apples... For general sport scuba needs there are really no better than worse tank manufacturers. It has more to do with many other factors. I personally suggest purchasing steel tanks. I also suggest getting lower pressure tanks (3000 psi or lower) for ease of filling.

Well I assume the tank market is the same this side of the ditch.
In other words there is no such thig a LP vs HP tanks. They are either 207 bar of 230 bar tanks.
If you use a lot of gas get a 15L faber. If you only use a little gas then get a 15L faber. It will last 2 dives. But then.....
Look at what your buddy is diving with. No point having a 15L if you dive with someone who has a 10L with a similar SAC as you.
Fabers are usually rated to 230 bar.
Istarted with Alu but ended up with all steel.

Back
Top Bottom