Which camera c-4040 or c-5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoddu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm just getting back into diving after a 20 year break. I've recently completed the PADI OW and AOW classes and am currently in the Night Dive class. UW photography is something that I would really like to try out. I don't know much about camera settings and generally just use the full auto options. However, I plan on learning more about photography. I own a c-4040 and I just received my Canon D20 on my porch this afternoon.

I was thinking about getting an Ikelite housing for my c-4040, but then saw that the c-5050 has some extras that might be worth picking up a used one for about $325 on ebay. The benefits that I see in the 5050 are: it can take CF cards (high capacity and will work in my D20), more megapixels, and the Ikelite housing has a TTL sync cord that will work with the camera. I expect to first just use the internal flash, then if I like UW photography expect to upgrade to a ds-125 strobe (which could also be used with my D20 if I ever buy a housing for it).

So, do you think it is worth it for me to buy a used c-5050, or should I just use my c-4040?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

There are alot of times I wish I'd never upgraded from 4040 to 5050, I miss the simplicity of the 4040. I could use it totally with one hand. BUT having both CF and XD cards in the camera at the same time is a no brainer, expecially if you're shooting raw. Those 128mg SM cards just don't hold enough, evan at SHQ.

I've never been a fan of TTL so that wasn't a desireable feature to me and I'm happy with the PT-15 housing. But since you have the D20, plan your strobe purchases for future use with it.

Look through the forums and galleries for photos by Calypsonick. His amazing photos are taken with only the internal flash of his Oly 5050. There are also several folks using the 4040 and only internal flash. So your plan of waiting to see if you like U/W photography before buying strobes is a good one.

BTW....if you ever get rid of the 4040, let me know! :D

If you are just getting back into diving and are new to UW photography, I think it would be smart to start with the lowest cost option First try to find a housing for the camera you already own, the 4040. It was the camera of choice for lots of people before the 5050 came out. If you like UW photography with that despite the most annoying shutter lag, then skip the 5050 and ikelite housing and just get a housing for the D20. If you are shooting the D20 on land, you won't be happy with anything less underwater. If you sell the 4040 and add that to what you would have spent on the 5050 plus the ikelite housing, you would be a long way toward a housing for the D20.

At least that is what I would do.

I use a 4040 (heheh and do have a backup one too) plus a newer 5050. I like the 4040 as Dee mentions, i's simple not complicated but lacking in the finer attributes..

I use the 128mb cards (max you can use) shoot in Super? Hi-quality and figure 46-50 shots per disk. I just plan on swapping them out after each dive along with the batteries. And it works just fine, photos, IMNSHO, seem to come out OK for 8x10s
My concern is if you can find one... and then if you do, can you find another one for when that one floods or your Houseing will just become a door stop...

5050, I just got it, was planning on using for "Natural Light and Super Macro and it works fine in the PT015 houseing... BUT... I don't really like the PT015 houseing as with heavy gloves (Seattle diving) I can't get at the controls as easily as I'd like and the 2 handed adjustments are a PIA... for the 4040 wins on that one, but am looking at the Ikelite housing and will, of course, slap a single strobe on to it.. and use it for a back up or semi-working/diving/shooting dives...
But again, hard to find??? maybe not anymore... but was there for a while

Between the 2 (4040 or 5050?), I'd go with the 5050 still... just because of the options, memory cards and higher (5mpix) sensor...

Hope that helps...

If you can find a housing for the 4040 for under $200 get it. The 4040 will
either produce acceptable results or you will learn why it does not. Either result
is well worth the under $200 cost. WHy? Obviously if the results are acceptable
t you, you've saved a pile of money but a negative result is OK too if it teaches
you something like for example you can't read the menu options off the screen
underwater or, you really want a strobe or you really only like macro photography
or even that you'd prefer video or still
or that you just can't handle the task loading (yet) of taking a camera with you)
4 megapixels is enough for good results and if you are not into manual settings you might just like the 4040 and there is decent resail value in a housed 4040

Rule #1: Never house a camera that you can not afford to flood or buy insurance for.

stoddu:
I'm just getting back into diving after a 20 year break. I've recently completed the PADI OW and AOW classes and am currently in the Night Dive class. UW photography is something that I would really like to try out. I don't know much about camera settings and generally just use the full auto options. However, I plan on learning more about photography. I own a c-4040 and I just received my Canon D20 on my porch this afternoon.

I was thinking about getting an Ikelite housing for my c-4040, but then saw that the c-5050 has some extras that might be worth picking up a used one for about $325 on ebay. The benefits that I see in the 5050 are: it can take CF cards (high capacity and will work in my D20), more megapixels, and the Ikelite housing has a TTL sync cord that will work with the camera. I expect to first just use the internal flash, then if I like UW photography expect to upgrade to a ds-125 strobe (which could also be used with my D20 if I ever buy a housing for it).

So, do you think it is worth it for me to buy a used c-5050, or should I just use my c-4040?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a used C-5050 on ebay and ordered an Olympus pt-015 housing to start with. If I really enjoy that, then maybe I'll get the Ikelite housing and strobes in the future. I'm going to start simply and work my way up.

Dee touched on it but didn't stress it. The C5050 can take RAW pictures which I don't think the 4040 does. Although I have yet to try this myself, looking at the posts here that in itself is a tremendous advantage

Back
Top Bottom