Which Camera Lanyard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Walrod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A trivial question, but one that I would like to know more about -- which or what type of lanyard to use with my Ikelite housing (G9 housing)?

I thought for all of the money spent on this setup, a lanyard of some sort would have been included.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

A trivial question, but one that I would like to know more about -- which or what type of lanyard to use with my Ikelite housing (G9 housing)?

I thought for all of the money spent on this setup, a lanyard of some sort would have been included.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

A piece of 1/4" nylon rope and a couple of SS boltsnaps works nicely.

Do not use the coiled-cord thing or anything with the plastic snaps. I did, and my brand new Canon and Ikelite housing ended up on the bottom of the St Lawrence River @100'+ and was only found because a really nice guy with great eyesight noticed it.

Terry

I agree with Web Monkey, I currently have a modified coiled-cord thing and I am switching to a piece of nylon rope with bolt snaps. I have never used the coil on the cord and it is just bulky and seems like a weak link for holding such pricy equipment.

avoid the plastic clips like the plague! you have spent an awful amount of money on a precious camera etc, such a weak link is downright stupid.

If you were in the UK i would recommend contacting Lumb Bros (see end of message) who make a snap lock lanyard with a coil and stainless steel connectors. they have just started doing mail order to the general public through their website because dive shops were not stocking their stuff which is a real shame because it's a much higher quality than the stuff they do stock.

sheilah
their website LUMB BROS Lanyards

Hi Chris:

I disagree with the comments about plastic clips. They work really well for me. I posted three photos of how I use lanyards for my rig, but here they are again. When clipped in the camera set up is close to the chest, and hands are available for non-photographic uses. I release the quick release clips when I am shooting, but the rig is still attached.

The third picture is a DIY "handle" that works really well for handing the camera off from a boat to me.

Good Luck!

Dan

Attachments

• Subal_Lanyard_Double.jpg
    Subal_Lanyard_Double.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 879
  • Subal_Lanyard_Single.jpg
    Subal_Lanyard_Single.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 748
  • Subal_Holder.jpg
    Subal_Holder.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 737
Hi Chris:

I disagree with the comments about plastic clips. They work really well for me. I posted three photos of how I use lanyards for my rig,
Dan

the metal clips i was referring to are not the ones you are referring to, let's clear that up.

you are using a metal clip to secure the unit to yourself and a plastic squeeze clip to secure the camera closer to the body when not in use, similar to the ones i recommended and which i use for my camera and my torch.

There are similar lanyards on the market which use plastic clips to secure the lanyard to the diver, the ones i have seen are not very robust.

hope that clears up the point.

sylpha

Back
Top Bottom