Which certification should I go with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, if you can arrange for an SEI program such as Jim discussed above, go for it. This program continues the excellent training provided by the YMCA.

The SEI program will take longer but that's a good thing. The more supervised training the better.

Richard

I dont know all the certifying agencies but here are a few:

PADI
NAUI
SSI
IANTD
TDI
NACD
NSS-CDS
GUE

of course some of them are for more technical or advanced dive training. If I could start all over I would have gone through GUE all the way.

I'm partial to TDI/SDI/ERDI. Depending your path, somewhere in these agencies you will find what you are looking for. SDI for your basic recreational diving, TDI for technical training, and ERDI for emergency response diving. Like other's have said, It's not the agency. It's the instructor, or lack there of. For the most part, all agencies have the same min. standards, it is the instructor's choice whether or not he/she requires more. Whichever you decide, the choice to learn scuba was a GREAT one!!! Be safe... Have fun.
DP

The instructor makes the course----even if it's from WXYZ agency......

I've heard that PADI is pretty good but I've seen some talk of I think it's NAUI. I was wondering if you guys could help out on which one I should go with. And is it possible to have both? But recomendations would be nice. Thanks!

I would concentrate more on finding a good instructor rather than dictating your training by a specific agency. You'll learn a lot more from an instructor that you feel comfortable with.

NorthWoodsDiver:
I dont know all the certifying agencies...

I guess not, you even left out the one mentioned in the post just before yours (quite an excellent one too, by the way), SEI.

Here's a more complete list.

OMG OMG OMG. Although he did say "more" complete list. Walter's List was missing one more that I've seen and researched. (someone flashed a somewhat shady card at the shop). They were/are based on Hawaii. The agency in question????? STI. Scuba Training International. Seemed like some Brudda started an agency of his own. One thing that has been on my mind for some time now. Which agency does Walter actually call home? I have some idea's but only speculation. I can respect his wishes not to reveal this info, but would be very interested.
DP
In reality, you are looking for "SCUBAT" scuba Training. Find someone that you feel confident in, and comfortable with. It's not some night time drama, it's training. GET SOME!!!

OMG OMG OMG. Although he did say "more" complete list. [-]Walter's[/-] knotical's List was missing one more that I've seen and researched. (someone flashed a somewhat shady card at the shop). They were/are based on Hawaii. The agency in question????? STI. Scuba Training International. Seemed like some Brudda started an agency of his own.
When I compiled the list I did not include STI because of insufficient evidence for their credibility or endurance. But I'd welcome new information. Thanks.

I also did not include a couple of online "agencies" who offer scuba academics and claim universal acceptance.

I update the list occasionally, and welcome comments, corrections and suggestions.

The_DivePirate:
Walter's List was missing one more that I've seen and researched.

It's not my list, it's knotical's. I don't know if it is 100% complete or not, but it's a great resource which I keep in my favorites. I appreciate all the work knotical put into compiling the list.

The_DivePirate:
Which agency does Walter actually call home? I have some idea's but only speculation. I can respect his wishes not to reveal this info, but would be very interested.

There's no secret, I mention it whenever it comes up in threads and it's been in my profile since I joined ScubaBoard (member #235) nine years ago. YMCA has been my agency of choice, but I've made the transition to SEI Diving along with the majority of YMCA instructors. I actually like SEI Diving even better than YMCA.

I've heard that PADI is pretty good but I've seen some talk of I think it's NAUI. I was wondering if you guys could help out on which one I should go with. And is it possible to have both? But recomendations would be nice. Thanks!

Like a few have said before, check the instructors. My LDS offers classes through NAUI mostly, with one instructor through PADI, and another through SDI/TDI. Before I bought even my first piece of gear, I spent about 18 hours at the shop, just talking with people and asking questions. Even when I thought that I was becoming bothersome to them, everyone stuck with me and ensured me that I was not a problem. Even now, 30 dives later, I still ask questions every time I go into the shop. (Yes, I'm still a noob!!) Heck, the shop manager greets me with a smile and "So what's the question today?". Kinda funny actually.

Find a shop / instructor that is patient. When you think that your becoming annoying, and they are still patient after your 12th visit and 80 billionth question and 0 purchases, then you've probably found a decent place. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Also, remember that YOU pick the instructor. If you don't like a particular instructor for one reason or another, then don't take classes from them. Just my 2 psi.

Well, best of luck to you. Welcome to the underwater world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom