Which class towards advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that AOW dives should as much as possible be chosen to improve your diving skills and don't think dives like FishID or UW Naturalist should even be options. Nothing wrong with such a class if you want to do it at some point, but for AOW I consider it filler. I'll grant that with the right instructor it could be a great learning experience, but the FishID dive you'll likely get as a part of a random AOW course, probably not. You'll get as much or more by picking up a book. I put photography/videography in the same category, yes you might improve some diving skills along the way, but it's more of a side effect. If you want to learn photography take it sometime from someone who's really good at doing/teaching it.

I would contact the shop and see if it's possible to do a night dive on another night. Lots of places just schedule night dives on specified nights so they can gather enough people to go out, but it's pretty common to go other nights if they have enough people. You already have 4 people, which may be enough for them, or close. There's a good chance other people where you are going would welcome another shot at a night dive.

We have decided to do a guided night dive separately if we are comfortable after a day or two into our AOW.

So, for our 5 dives we have the required Navigation and Deep. For the 3 others we will probably do Peak performance buoyancy, search & recovery and possibly wreck diving.

I am not crazy about wreck dives (DH is) but thought this may give me an appreciation for it.

What do you all think of our choices? Good?

Excellent, You will have a good time no matter which you choose. Sounds good that you are kinda giving in a little for someone else. Add a little to the Karma meter. Enjoy your class and dives. Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom