Which computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a wrist mount computer and I have the opportunity to buy a brand new from the factory Suunto D6 for around $375. My question is should I go with the D6 or is there something out there that would be better in that price range?

Sunto certainly in NOT on the top of my list. We (our shop) has experienced a marked increase in their computers failing... particularly the Cobra II and III models. They've made a lot of excuses and told us "they will be fixed in the next production run" - but I am still waiting to see this change for the better.

BTW.... I do think it's worthy to note that they have been very good at replacing them for us and our customers (when they were purchased from a dealer). Be sure to get a warranty on their stuff and I'm sure they will take care of you if necessary.

i know how you feel, as of right now, i am literally waiting for my aeris manta to be delivered to me by ups from leisure pro, it says it's coming today. anyway, i've done a lot of searches and it seems that every computer out there seems to have a good and bad side and also a good and bad review, so i guess it really depends on the person using them and from what dive shop it comes from coz i think there are those that are just factory defective. i've lost sleep for two weeks now just wanting to get the BEST, but i guess you just need to be satisfied with what you choose and hopefully it'll be able to meet your expectations... i hope i will be :)

I got the lower budget suunto vyper, solid workhorse, not that many frills(it does nitrox, can compensate for cold water/altitude, not much else), it's pretty bulky though, not one that gets mistaken for a wrist watch, but I like the big screen. I know several other instructors who use them and are happy with them.

The Vyper is what I use. It's an oldie but goodie. Very solid, good battery life, never failed me. You can buy a PC cable on ebay and the Suunto Dive Manager is quite good.

There may be better ones now, but you can't go wrong with the Vyper and can probably get it at a good price these days.

Adam

The good news is there are a lot of good choices out there to choose from. Start off by deciding what is more important. Wrist watch size/style? Clean screen with large easy to read numbers? Color coded bar graphs? User changeable batteries? PC downloadable?

Once you've got that all down, it should help you narrow down the choices.

$375 for a d6 sounds pretty good. If it has a warranty I think you'll be happy with it and unless you are looking for an air integrated computer it should do anything you need it to do. I have had a D9 for several years and except for having to send the unit back for battery change, no problems.

I would advice you to go for Mares computers...

I have the:
- Nemo Excel
- Icon HD

Both of them are hard solid underwater and never failed me!!!
My Nemo is around 3 years old! and wearing it 24/7

They are tough, will last a life time...

Anybody know anything about the Mares Puck Wrist Computer or have any experience with it? Seems like a good computer for the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom