Which diving equipment would you buy first ?

Which diving equipment would you buy first ?

• Diving Computer

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • BCD

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Regulator

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Suit

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Cylinder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

been discussed many times....

If you are hard to fit, and in a cold water environment, then exposure protection.... (or just don't like nasty used suits)
Parallel to this is regulators as resort rentals can be "interesting"
A PDC ranks high as learning it and understanding it is paramount (some would argue if you are really new, tables can be adequate)

I'd put all three of these in the same level.

buoyancy device would follow. Knowing your equipment is a good idea.

Buy first those things that must fit you, next buy those you need to get familiar with, lastly those things that can be rented and don't need to fit and you don't need to get familiar with.

So first buy your mask and your exposure protection. Then your computer and BCD (this maybe should be in the must-fit-you category if you are not a "standard" shape). Lastly your fins and regulator.

Caveats:
- You may find you like only one kind of fin...like paddle, or split or Force or spring-strap, etc, in which case you need to buy them because you can't count on renting them.
- You may be squeamish about using rental regulators...so buy one.
- Renting lots of BCDs before buying one can give you a good idea of what you like...better than standing in a dive shop!
- Most classes will require you to buy mask (and snorkel) and fins for the class; it is part of their profit margin. See if you can try out different fins before committing to the style.
- The more you buy at once, the better the package price...so there is reason to buy computer/BCD/Reg all at once.

Depends to some degree on where you plan to dive. Some warm water diving may not require exposure suits at all, cold water diving may require a warm, well fitting wetsuit. Personally I would go with the regulator first unless you are hard to fit. I've had enough trouble with rental gear over the years to greatly prefer having my own with me.

First should be mask, fins and snorkel. All divers should gain competence with this gear first---prior to using tanks and BC's.
In other words, you should learn to snorkel first. If you are in a cold water location, with nasty snorkeling...a few long trips to warm water for snorkeling would be a better way to go.
Worst case, snorkeling in a big pool ...an hour or so at a time, many days....could develop a better sense of comfort in the water than you could get by going straight to tank and BC ( where most divers will never have enough bio-feedback with all the gear on, to ever optimize their propulsion or real comfort in the water).

Suit / exposure protection, but it may be my local bias. Also there is nothing more annoying than an ill fitting wetsuit. Besides, if the regs, bc, computer, or cylinder is not up to par I'll go freediving.

Bob
-----------------------------------
There are more ways than one to skin a cat, but the cat never likes it.

Mask first -- it HAS to fit, or even snorkeling isn't fun. Fins are necessary -- you really can't push dive gear through the water without them.

After that, if you're diving water cold enough to require significant thermal protection, buy that, because if it doesn't fit, it doesn't work. In very warm water where you can get away with an ill-fitting wetsuit, not so urgent.

Dive computer. You have to understand it, and it eventually becomes your dive log, so having your own is a pretty nice thing.

Regulator and BC are both arguable. BCs need to fit, so if you're an odd size, that might be next; regulators are nicer if they're well adjusted, so that could be a factor.

Small items like cutting devices, lights and signal tubes, and slates or wetnotes, can be picked up here and there.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

My first diving equipment was actually a diving computer. I am thinking to buy my second piece of equipment though.
I am between a suit and a regulator. Since I am living in the UK, I think a dry suit is a must. However, the regulator excites me more as an idea of owning one. I think I will probably stick with finding a good dry suit thought since the waters are quite cold and the regulator is not a must for now.
Another reason I wanted the regulator was because I got an air transmitter for my diving computer and I am not sure if the people that you rent equipment will allow me to put my transmitter into their regulator, so I was thinking of buying to so I can always having in it. Any thoughts about that anyone ?

Thanks,

Socc

How often will you be diving, if it's once every couple of months your decision may be different to every week. If every week then do the sums of what it costs to buy the equipment verses renting then decide whether to buy one or two pieces of equipment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom