Which Dutch Island Do You Prefer To Dive In?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Saba. Would select Saba over Bonaire due to diversity of dive sites. Walls, pinnicles, flat-shallow dives, lots of fish, etc. Interesting island with great restaurants and "hobbit-like" buildings and town. Good hiking as well. Sea Saba is the best diving operation I've used in 10 trips to the Caribbean on 7 diferent islands.

Rob

Different strokes and all that.....Bonaire over Curacao because of the ease with which one can get around and negotiate the dive sites. And, having been to quite a few places in the Caribbean, there is ample variety for suit my needs, especially in the observable fish species. Having spoken to my daughter about her diving experiences on Aruba, I would place it last in this list of three.

Thanks for all your responses so far folks. Bonaire is the hardest to get to from Canada as well whereas we do have some good flights to Aruba, Curacao and St Maarten. I've only been to St Maarten as a cruise ship port and went snorkeling at a local beach once. The vis was not great.

If you can get to Aruba or Curacao you can fly to Bonaire via Insel Air or Divi Divi. 1/2 hr. flight in the $60-160 range depending on day. You should be able to get from Curacao to Bonaire as last as about 8PM. The flight back requires a later morning/early afternoon Curacao departure. Info Bonaire - Airline Information and Connections

If you can get to MIA b4 2PM or CLT (Charlotte) early enough there's also a direct Insel Flight (stops in Curacao) but it's not the cheapest option. http://www.fly-inselair.com/en/

Been to Bonaire 8 times, week long dive vacations each trip. Visited Aruba one day on a cruise ship stop and did not dive. I've heard nothing about Aruba that would make me pick it over a number of other places for a dive vacation. I have been Curacao curious. But I kept going back to Bonaire. My reasoning:

1.) I already know my way around Bonaire, and the road hugs the west coast. Getting site to site is about as easy as it gets.

2.) While entries can be rough at the start, the swim outs usually aren't real long. Some southern can be a bit.

3.) I'm told the road around Curacao doesn't hug the coast, you have to turn off the main roads to head to some dive sites, and it tends to be a longer trip site to site driving. Roads not always well marked. I do not like asking strangers for directions.

4.) It's been my impression from others' posts that the total number of dives racked up on a Bonaire trip tends to be higher. Doesn't have to go that way, but tends to. Or so I've inferred.

5.) I'm not convinced the facilities at some Curacao sites would appeal to me that much. In Bonaire, I head out in the morning, do 2 dives, go to the resort for lunch and a fast shower, grab more tanks & head out for 2 afternoon dives. I pee in the ocean and dump at the resort, so onsite bathrooms don't matter. I take tanks with me, so nothing to rent. I'm not far from the resort, as the island isn't huge, so I don't need onsite concessions, either. I can see ostriches at the zoo (but if in Curacao, would probably visit the ostrich farm, granted). Diving is about all I go to do.

I may someday be blessed to hit Curacao. It sounds like a fine place.
Richard.

Have only been to Saba and St Maarten. Would not bother diving St Maarten, Saba was as good as it gets in the Caribbean. Comparable to Bloody Bay Wall Cayman and the atolls in Belize.

St Maarten as a place to vacation was very nice however. Lots to see and do, two cultures to explore with the French and Dutch sides. We spent three weeks there last year with a 3 day side trip to Saba and as a vacation spot we rated it pretty highly. For diving not so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom