Which EP to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If money is an issue the Ep-1 is the cheapest and yields the same photos. i

They all share the same sensor, so the picture quality will be pretty much equal. The housings are different, and are not interchangeable. But are of the same quality/build.

They can all accept the add-on Zen port lenses - which are great!

The only real advantage you get from the E-PL3 is the faster focusing and the 1080p60 video, but having said that, I'm finding I'm sticking with 720p as its easier to work with, so for me that 'was' a reason to get the latest greatest one - only for me not to use the feature!

Pricewise the E-PL1 is a steal at the moment and so too is the E-PL2! And if I was to buy again, I would consider the E-PL2 instead and it would of saved me a few $$$$.

Be careful, underwater photography, once you get serious is VERY expensive.

* Camera
* WA Lens
* Housing
* Ports
* Strobes
* Tray and Arms
* Carry case

The list goes on and on... The cost of the E-PL3 was peanuts compared to the 2x Inon z240 I've just got for the system... It's addictive!

Regards

Richard

You probably know this, but be careful what you're talking about.
I assume you mean the E-PL1/2/3 and not the EP1/2/3. There are no olympus housings for the latter cameras.

I have the EPL2 and love it. Haven't done much video, but plan to in the future. The stills produced from the camera with the 9-18 and Zen dome are outstanding.

I agree, that was the main reason for my entry into a more 'professional' underwater camera, the wide angle is outstanding with the zen dome.

Give the video a go, I'm getting some lovely stuff with it, in fact I'm taking more video at present!

The stills produced from the camera with the 9-18 and Zen dome are outstanding.

Regards

Richard

The differences among the EPL series (as someone noted, NOT the EP series) are (I believe):

"1" -- cheapest right now (I imagine until the current supply is ended) -- has same sensor as other two, same processor as the "2" -- slowest focusing speed with the kit lens -- "Some Say" the kit lens is a bit sharper at the zoom (macro) end

"2" -- good price, cheaper than "3" -- same processor as "1" -- faster focus on kit lens and the kit lens is better (I understand) at video focus

"3" -- upgraded processor from "1" and "2" -- fastest focusing system (but honestly, don't know how much real life difference from "2" or for that matter "1") -- 1080p video

FOR THE MONEY, I think the "1" with the 14-42 kit lens and 40-150 telephoto is a great deal.

I believe the Oly housings for "1" and "2" are just about the same price whereas the "3" housing is more.

Thanks, What lenses will fit in the EPL2 housing?
I'm into macro photography mainly. Whats a good macro lens and would I need any additional ports/parts for the housing?

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the lens barrel on the housing? I have a macro light system for my Canon and it requires a 100mm barrel or smaller.

For the PT-EP01 (E-PL1) The front of the stock port is 120mm max OD.

I've only made 1 trip with my "new" E-PL1 setup, but I really like it. This was also my first time using a wet-diopter, and that was so worth the effort to mount- I used it a bunch. It helped that it was "macro heaven"... I liked the option to remove it and shoot just the (14-42) lens on the same dive.

As others have written, I doubt that you would be disappointed in any of the E-PL flavors. Budget was my constraint, so I sold my old rig, started with a used E-PL1 and went from there.

Pic's from my trip.

For the PT-EP01 (E-PL1) The front of the stock port is 120mm max OD.

I've only made 1 trip with my "new" E-PL1 setup, but I really like it. This was also my first time using a wet-diopter, and that was so worth the effort to mount- I used it a bunch. It helped that it was "macro heaven"... I liked the option to remove it and shoot just the (14-42) lens on the same dive.

As others have written, I doubt that you would be disappointed in any of the E-PL flavors. Budget was my constraint, so I sold my old rig, started with a used E-PL1 and went from there.

Pic's from my trip.
Beautiful pics! Which wet diopter are you using and which strobes?
I have the Dyron +7 for my E- PL2 and I have a heck of a time locking in my focus!

Thanks, What lenses will fit in the EPL2 housing?
I'm into macro photography mainly. Whats a good macro lens and would I need any additional ports/parts for the housing?

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the lens barrel on the housing? I have a macro light system for my Canon and it requires a 100mm barrel or smaller.

Olympus lists the stock housing as working with the 14-42 kit lense and the 9-18.
Seems like most people who buy the 9-18 also get the Zen dome, but that really drives up the cost.
The 9-18 is not a cheap lense.
If budget is a major concern, I'd just get the stock camera and housing and snap away.
It will take great photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom