Which exercise to do....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok I have a question... :06: Kinda wierd but what the heck i'll ask anyway...

Im a rather slim gal.. 5'2 110 lbs.. work out at least 3 time a week.. how ever.. ya know the outerside of your hip? What does a gal do to build this muscle up :eyebrow: -- I have done squates till i thought my thighs would fall off. I have done lateral leg lifts, etc.. no avil.. I tend to cramp in this spot when diving, so I know its wimpy... :33: any advise?

I'm no expert, but since no one else has answered, here goes. Some of these are hard to explain without illustrations. There are a couple of things I can think of that might help. Sounds like you work out at a club. Usually in the machine weight room they'll have a machine where you sit down and there are a couple pads on the outside of your knees. You push your legs apart, and the machine provides resistance, strengthening your adductors (or is it abductors, I always forget). There is also a machine where you put a strap around your ankle, standing with your side to the machine, and swing your leg outward, away from the machine. You could also lay on your side, with a soft weight tied to your ankle, and lift your leg. Another thing which might help is yoga. Half moon would really help stretch it out.

BlueFish,
thanks for the responce, I took your suggestions to the club and tried them.. yep that is the area I wanna work.. :thumbs-up
wow so simple and i did not even think of it. silly me.

Thanks again :god:

Bluefish:
Usually in the machine weight room they'll have a machine where you sit down and there are a couple pads on the outside of your knees. You push your legs apart, and the machine provides resistance, strengthening your adductors (or is it abductors, I always forget). There is also a machine where you put a strap around your ankle, standing with your side to the machine, and swing your leg outward, away from the machine. You could also lay on your side, with a soft weight tied to your ankle, and lift your leg. Another thing which might help is yoga. Half moon would really help stretch it out.

Bluefish has outlined the possible exercises, though I would tend more with the standing version than the sitting one as the required muscle work is more isolated. Note that this is a difficult area to target specifically, and may have more to do with your body type than any specific need. Generally, if you do enough running, biking, swimming, etc this area is addressed by secondary movement. BTW - cramps do not necessarily mean it is underdeveloped, and squats won't really help (unless you are doing them dangerously wrong by putting too much stress outside your centerline).

If you do isolated excersizes for the adductors (move the leg away from the centerline) also do excersizes for the abductors.

Of course, if you can go diving instead of going to the gym then just go dive.

Diving is the best excersize for diving! :D

This is copied off the British Divernet website, check it out at www.divernet.com

A hilarious article by ANDY BLACKFORD :

People will often ask me: "Do you have to be fit in order to dive?" And I will often ignore them until they go away.
But occasionally I will reply: "Yes, you need the lungs of a sherpa and the physique of a Saskatchewan lumberjack."
This is my new strategy for keeping numbers down. I call it "lying" and, while it may be ethically questionable, at least it's less drastic than my old strategy of the annual cull.
Still, there is a case for divers maintaining some degree of physical fitness. As I've learned to my cost, it takes a fair amount of brawn to rip a porthole off a designated war grave.
In fact, it was the subject of diving fitness that first prompted me to write to Diver, almost 70 years ago.
The magazine carried an article on yoga - urging fat, beer-swilling hooligans everywhere to bin their Capstan Full Strength, trade in their porky scratchings for a pint of slippery elm food and follow the True Path of the holy men of ancient India.
My response to this suggestion was to produce a sober, academic analysis of the psychology of the typical diver. I called it Smash The Yoga Nancy Boys.
Nevertheless, I have always been a tireless champion of keeping in shape. Having run across the Sahara and completed a marathon on the slopes of Kajenjunga, I now humbly present my own, patent pre-season fitness regime for divers, soon to be released on DVD (Time-Warner, £13.99).
Day 1: Retrieve your wetsuit from the loft. Remove any extraneous lichen and cockroaches. Attempt to unfasten the zipper (this can be found beneath the thick brown-and-white crust of oxidised metal to the left of the centre of the jacket). Wearing a light cotton glove will help to reduce bleeding sores on the thumb and forefinger.
Warning: on no account attempt this exercise in the presence of children or those of a delicate disposition.
Day 2: Put on the wetsuit. As it is at least two sizes too small, you'll exercise the main muscle groups of the arms and shoulders. But the main benefit will be to the abdomen, which you'll be forced to haul in tighter than a *****'s corset. Don't be alarmed if you experience a slight discharge of stale lager from the nose and ears.
Day 3: Having slept in the wetsuit, enjoy a gentle morning jog of not more than 6 or 7 miles. Slow down at the first signs of heat-stroke - you should expect some minor giddiness and disorientation, but the onset of projectile vomiting can provide a useful benchmark.
After a couple of weeks, you may wish to wear a weightbelt, adding lead over time as your overall fitness improves. Remove the wetsuit in the evening. You should allow about two hours for this exercise.
At first, you may find it beneficial to retain the services of a brace of male psychiatric nurses.
Day 4: Sleep.
Day 5: Pushing a fully-laden club van sounds tougher than it really is. Once you overcome the inertia and the limiting friction, it is possible to keep up quite a lively pace. So, after a month or so, try the exercise on a slight-to-moderate incline. Or better still, uphill after heavy rain in the parking field at Lulworth.
Day 6: Tucking a 70hp Yamaha boat engine under each arm, run up the pebble beach at Chesil. When you reach the summit, orally inflate a 5m work boat. Repeat until tired. Bear in mind that the NHS waiting list for hernia corrections is approximately two years.
Day 7: Sell diving gear at car boot sale. Take up whist.

Ha, Ha, Ha... There, easy really! Off you go then...

kind regards
Dennis

They are your abductors. Here is a easy way to remember. If you take away from the midline you are abducting. (If a child is taken from its parents it is a abduction.) If you are adding to the midline than it is adduction. Don't feel bad though it is a rather common occurance. Now all you have to do is blow some dust off of your anatomy book and figure out what muscles are your primary Hip ABductors and which ones are your primary Hip ADductors.

The abductors are good to work, but the only way to alleviate the soft stuff is a good cardio. Cycling is good to work that down nice and trim. :)

It may mean that you have a reduced level of potassium or some other checmical at the site. I know it sounds crazy, but I cramp in cold water if I don't eat bannana's enough. Someone told me long ago that bananna's have lots of potassium, and that this helps muscle cramps. It works for me.

I am sure there are folks on the board who can give a far better technical explanation of this, or even correct me if I have the wrong chemical group, I just know it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom