Which Focus Light to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba721

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts on buying a SOLA 500 for $279 or the
[h=2]i-Torch Venusian II 700 Lumen Light for $200.
[/h]
Thanks

Tim

hi Tim

I'd say it is a personal preference. With the Sola light, it is very easy to change the power underwater. It is a little more difficult on the Venusian II. But the ability to have a second charged battery with the Venusian II is nice.

Scott

Hi Tim, There is another Itorch choice in the same price range The Venutian III which has the simple push button function switch like the Venutian II but adds Red light also. I like the fact that both the Itorch models have two set of rechargeable batteries and the battery power level indicator always visible around the function button. You may also consider which model offers the best beam angle for your needs.

Thanks for the input. I have used the SOLAs on a recent dive trip. Aggressor T&C. They were letting everyone try them and the HERO 3's. I really liked the power of the photo lights and the red lights.

So much to my wife's chagrin I bought the SOLA 800 Photo.

Another vote for Sola. I've got a pair of 600 photo's on my rig and love them. Built in battery, quick charge, variable power and for the 600, the red light which is awesome at night. Slightly underpowered for daytime video use but they do a good job at night and in Cenotes.

I haven't used the I-Torch. I have a Sola 600. It works great. I'm not real fond of the switch, which is hard to move from off to lock in gloves underwater without turning it back on. The other downside is if you do more than two dives a day, you'll have to charge it between. Even on lower powers, I only get about an hour and a half out of it. It usually quits about half-way through my second dive if I leave it on all the time. I usually do, as it nicely doubles as a dive light.

HI,Tim, We also have many diving light to supply.Our lights cover canister light ,video light and back-up light.The lumen range from 200 to 2400.If you have any interested ,just feel free to contact me.My skype is janey.pang
Thanks.

I-Torch has replaced the Venusian II with the Venusian III now. It has 700 lumens (claimed, I'd say more like 600ish) and now also has a red light that users have been asking for. Now has a push button switch that changes color with battery level. Comes with a YS mount Comes with two rechargeable batteries, so one can be in the charger read-to-go. Price is $265. Nice budget light that competes well with the UK Pro AquaLite.

Venusain_3_back.jpg

The Sola's are a nice design, I dive an 800 myself. But you'll only get two dives off it without charging. It's also sealed, so if you have a problem on a trip you're sort of screwed. The Sola Photo 500 has 500 lumens and only has white light. The MAP on it is $299 btw, and you have to buy a $35 mount as well. Don't confuse the "Dive" Solas, with the "Photo" Solas.

Fix also has some nice new Neo lights, but the smallest is the Fix Neo 800 at $349, only wiht white light, comes with like 4-5 mounts, a very nice display, light levels adjustable in 1% or 25% increments, both battery level and time-remaining read-outs. Same sort of design as the Sola, but with swappable batteries ($110). For the small difference in cost it's a no-brainer over the Sola 500.
1379_1378_neo-1.jpg1379_1378_neo_screen.jpg

Many thanks to all that responded. Like marriage you have to take the positives and negatives with UW purchases. And definitely do not calculate your total costs per dive. It's an addiction that gives back.

I presently I use a Nano Mini as focus light which is OK for macro shooting with a 60mm lens. Going to bigger distences I need a more powerfull / wider light but it seems that none of the more popular focus lights shut off when the strobes fire (as the Nano does). I guess this is not an issue in clear water however I am concerned about the silty Water I normally dive in (Denmark) will create backscatter. Does anyone have experience whether this is an issue?

Back
Top Bottom