Which HP steels don't need boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have PST 120's doubles they have round bottoms they will stand if you leave the boots on. Sure makes it easier getting them in and out of my car rest them on the bumper then take the harness off then tip them back and in. With round bottoms they would slide all over the place plus the plastic is a little easier on the paint.

I have noticed that not everybody uses boots on their steel tanks, they just can't stand them up, maybe not a bad idea, if you think about it. As far as the worthingtons vs pst tanks, they are pretty similar except when it comes to availability. When I wanted steels, PST told my dive shop the lead time was 3-5 months. Worthingtons, from Sea Pearls, was delivered to the shop in 6 calender days.

hoosier:
Yes, OMS tank is from PST. The only difference is that the tank has OMS sticker instead of PST one.
i got myself a pair of the OMS 100s a couple of weeks ago. the difference is not only that it comes with an OMS sticker instead of a PST sticker but more importantly that the sticker comes separate i.e. is not affixed to the tank. therefore, you can slap it on your forehead and don't have to labor with goo-be-gone or other concoctions to remove it from your tank.

docmartin:
i got myself a pair of the OMS 100s a couple of weeks ago. the difference is not only that it comes with an OMS sticker instead of a PST sticker but more importantly that the sticker comes separate i.e. is not affixed to the tank. therefore, you can slap it on your forehead and don't have to labor with goo-be-gone or other concoctions to remove it from your tank.

LOL~~ Hey that's good to know..... :wink:

docmartin:
therefore, you can slap it on your forehead and don't have to labor with goo-be-gone or other concoctions to remove it from your tank.
lol

Two questions:
  1. Were the tanks in stock or did you have to order them?
  2. If the latter, how long did delivery take?

reefraff:
lol

Two questions:
  1. Were the tanks in stock or did you have to order them?
  2. If the latter, how long did delivery take?
i ordered them from leisure pro. they were in stock and arrived at my door 2 days later. in the meantime they raised the price from $250 to $316. however, they are now selling the worthington HPs at killer prices and they are in stock.

I actually own a set of twin 38 steel tanks with "champagne bottle bottoms" Yes they look just like a champagne bottle with a little puckered dimple that goes up into the bottom of the tank.

These tanks were manufactured by Norris in 1972

They are currently in hydro and nice because they stand without boots.

Why they no longer make tanks like this I don't know. It most likely has something to do with pressure ratings but that is only a guess.

All of my other tanks have round bottoms with no boots and while it is slightly more difficult to lean them against things it is nice to not have the issues related to boots and corrosion. Additionally I have never seen anyone without a boot on a steel tank have any issues with their tanks falling over and causing regulator damage.

Seadiver5:
All of my other tanks have round bottoms with no boots and while it is slightly more difficult to lean them against things it is nice to not have the issues related to boots and corrosion. Additionally I have never seen anyone without a boot on a steel tank have any issues with their tanks falling over and causing regulator damage.

All my tanks are steel round bottom with no boots. I store and travel with them in a Pelican rack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom