Which is a better location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast5frog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to diving, but next year my wife would like to go to either La Romana or Punta Cana both in the Dominican Republic. I dont know if either is better for a beginning diver or not but any opinions or experiences on either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

Rumor has it that neither one is all that good. You might try a search of the board to get some trip reports. BTW welcome to Scubaboard!

Hi fast5frog,

There is little argument but that La Romana/Bayahibe diving is superior to that off Punta Cana (which really sucks).

You might find my feature trip report on the DR in the Jun '03 issue of Undercurrent (http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/issues2003.shtml) to be informative. I returned in March of this year and found that little has altered besides a change in shop ownership:

Bayahibe, Dominican Republic:Not bad for an all-inclusive romantic getaway.
http://www.awoosh.com/Doc Vikingo's Resource Page/Bayahibe.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo

I"ve been to both and what you are hearing is correct, neither will be your best diving ever, but La Romana is much better than Punta Cana. There is a day trip to an Island that is supposed to offer some better diving. We arrived on the day the resort went and weren't able to book the trip.

Hi Rpeiffer,

A reading of the article linked in my post above describes the trips to Catalitina and Saona Islands. Better diving but extra cost.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Really sounds as if Punta Cana isn't very good at all. My wife will be upset but I definately don't want to spend the money on a trip like that to have a bad experience. I have subscribed to SCUBA Mag. and I really would like to go to Belize, is that a pretty good trip/diving experience? -Thanks again in advance

I went to Turneffe Island Lodge two years ago this Feb. So far my best diving experience. Not much to do but dive and relax. So maybe it wouldn't work out for you and your wife. Check out the web site, http://www.turneffelodge.com/turneffeNEW.swf

You put your gear out on the porch and they pick it up. You set up your BC and Reg the first dive and after that all you do is carry your mask,fins and wetsuit off the boat.

So far it's been my best diving experience. My wife doesn't dive but I managed a guys trip to here. Sold her another one this Feb, going to the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Same type dive operation.

I would agree on Turneffe Island. Really a great get away. And nice bungalows right on the beach. Awesome food. Watch that bar tab though they get you pretty good there.
Sherman the bartender is a great guy and the rest of the staff was very good.
Short boat rides to all dive spots.
Blue hole trip is fun with a nice stop on the way back.

Have you considered Bonaire?

Hi, I am going to the DR and Puerto Rico in May 07. Should I do more diving in Puerto Rico than the DR, is one better than the other? Also, as far as transportation, should I rent a car in the DR or arrange some kind of transport? I have heard safety can be an issue.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom