Which island for first time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, me and my boyfriend are thinking about going to the Cayman islands for 5-7 days or so to go diving. We are both around 30 years old, have been rescue + nitrox + deep certified and have done about 45-50 dives, most in Europe but also tropical waters.

We are wondering what island you would suggest us to go to? Most likely we will be coming from (and also going back to) Jamaica with Cayman Airways.

And if your suggestion is Grand Cayman, which side should we get a hotel on?

Cobalt Coast Resort and Compass Point Resort on Grand Cayman, Brac Reef Resort of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman Beach Resort on Little Cayman. Pick any of those and you can't go wrong. Nice rooms, good food, great service and solid dive ops. The food at Little Cayman Beach Resort is to die for...

Thanks for the quick reply! If you could pick out of these (other than hotel preferences), which do you think has the best diving?

I don't have any experience with the land based resorts but I have done dives off of all 3 islands via live aboard. If the resort on Little Cayman is as great as I have read, I would say Little Cayman wins my vote, the other 2 are just okay compared to LC.

Have been at Cobalt and LCBR and can compare.

Diving much better on LC than GC, and overall the dive lodge experience better at LCBR than Cobalt. Dive ops are comparable but Cobalt boats usually depart from elsewhere so you are bused.
Food better at Cobalt than LC.

I would not describe the food at LCBR as to die for. It's a buffet with multiple choices each night. Food is wholesome and plentiful but when you are cooking for 75-80 people who all want to eat at the same time, and the supplies are coming from off island, impossible to create gourmet fare.

The menu at Cobalt is broad at dinner and the food is cooked to order.

I would go back to Cobalt if I had additional interests to diving; but if the holiday is a dedicated dive trip, rather than a vacation that includes diving, LCBR gets my vote.

I think it depends on what you are looking for and whether this might be your first and only trip to the Caymans. I see you are in the Netherlands. I think LC has the best diving and that seems to be the consensus of most posters on SB. However, the diving on CB and GC are very good. If this is your one and only trip to the Caymans and you want to dive some of the best spots in the Caribbean and all you care about is the diving, I think LC is a good choice. If, however, this may not be your one and only trip to the Caymans and you like to do other things besides diving, I would recommend GC as your first trip

As far as where on GC that also depends on what you are looking for. If the best diving is your one and only criteria, I would recommend Oceanfrontiers out on the east end. I think they are a terrific op, nice isolated location feel (not quite like LC) but much quieter than the west side 7mb, and they have access to some of the best diving on GC. On the otherhand if your interest in the trip is only part diving, looking to dive maybe only once a day but would like easier access to restaurants, shopping, strolling long white sand beaches, somewhere on 7mb might be a better bet.

I have never stayed at Cobalt Coast but have been to the property a couple times when I dove with DiveTech, their dive op. I think DT was great, but I was not impressed with the location of Cobalt and would much prefer OF. We were also bused around when we dove with DT which was my only negative on DT. I think next time I dive with DT I would try to avoid the busing by simply trying to arrange to meet them at their boat. This would not be an issue if the boats leave from Cobalt but when I was there the boats were moved to West Bay. The pluses of Cobalt and DT is there shore diving options at Cobalt and Lighthouse Point. And again I thought DT was a great dive op and I have never stayed at Cobalt so can't comment on anything other than my impression having driven to the facility and having walked around the property.

I would second a lot of what has been said. I have been to LC and CB, and I like the diving better on LC, but CB is great also. I agree that it all depends on what you are interested in doing. LC and CB are great if you mainly want to dive, and lay around in a hammock or by a pool. There are a few nature tourism type things to go and see on both islands, so if you are into that (or birding), you will have plenty to do. If you need nightlife or diverse restaurant and shopping options, you won't find that on LC or CB. I really love the food at LCBR and have never felt it suffered in quality from being part of a buffet offering. The desserts especially are very good.

As was said above, if this is a dive and relaxation trip, go to LC. If this is a vacation trip where you also want to include some diving, go to GC.

Another vote here for LCBC. Little Cayman is one of only three "repeat" destinations for us after 35 years of travelling to the Caribbean to dive. (The other two being the outer cayes of Belize, and liveaboard travel in Turks and Caicos...)

We are seriously considering a third trip there this year... if someone could just fix our Canadian Peso... :(

Another vote for Litle Cayman. We love the Southern Cross Club.

I have been to the Brac and Little Cayman. I prefer the Brac for winter diving. I think the south side of the Brac has its best diving and generally winter conditions favor it. The walls on Brac are deep but you have a good chance of seeing sharks.

The walls at Little Cayman tend to be shallow. The walls on the Great Wall section start at about 25 feet and go straight down to 3000 feet. It is really impressive.

i have stayed at LCBR and Brac Reef Resort. They are both really good.

It is my wife's favorite place in the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom