Which Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iain-le-roi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

I am looking for advice on which Caribbean island to choose for my next holiday in March. I am going with my girlfriend and would like nice sandy golden beaches with a bit if luxury plus a bit going on (in terms on night life/eating and things to) do but not too hectic or cheesey. In terms of diving I'd like healthy reefs with the chance of seeing larger palegics, Sharks, Eagle rays, Mantas Whale sharks anything along those lines would be great. Guidance on which island or even specific resorts would be very welcome? I'll be traveling over from the UK.

Thanks for your help

Iain

Hi

I am looking for advice on which Caribbean island to choose for my next holiday in March. I am going with my girlfriend and would like nice sandy golden beaches with a bit if luxury plus a bit going on (in terms on night life/eating and things to) do but not too hectic or cheesey. In terms of diving I'd like healthy reefs with the chance of seeing larger palegics, Sharks, Eagle rays, Mantas Whale sharks anything along those lines would be great. Guidance on which island or even specific resorts would be very welcome? I'll be traveling over from the UK.

Thanks for your help

Iain

Maybe Cozumel, usually nightlife on many of the "good diving" islands isn't findable.
In March you might find the whales off Dominican Republic or (Hawaii not Caribbean), Mantas off the Big Island of Hawaii, shark - rays - maybe dolphins off Turks and Caicos.
Turks and Caicos doesn't really have nightlife ...other than maybe a night dive.
For a chance to see a shark and maybe a eagle ray & for more of a party atmosphere Cozumel would be your best fit.

Hi again

Sorry I wasn't very specific when I said night life. I'm with the GF so not bothered about pubs and clubs. What we would like though is a bit of choice in terms of a few places to go and eat out rather than just the hotel every night. Of couse if the hotel has choice of restraunts and has quality food then this wouldnt matter so much. The important things for me are the white sand, good reef diving (even better if big stuff) and a nice bit of Luxury to keep the GF happy :)

Iain

P.S don't fancy Cozumel (was in Mexico last year).

Hi

Thanks for your help

Iain

Your post is an Oxymoron. Nice sandy golden beaches and good diving generally don't go well together. Probably the closest you are going to get to this is Grand Cayman or T&C.

You only see big stuff - at certain places - at certain times of the year.

That's why I specified March and asked where would be recommended!

Also I don't agree its an oxymoron, I take it you haven't done much diving in Asia?

I realise that some compromises need to be made but was just looking for advise to see where would be the closest match to what I am after?

Iain

I think St. Martin might be a good choice for you. I just moved here for a year to dive and relax. The pros are that there are nice beaches and terrific restaurants on the French side. It's also very easy to get to, depending on where you're coming from. I'm not so fond of the Dutch side, which is essentially the American side with time shares and whatnot, but tastes vary.

In terms of diving, it isn't a top destination. On the Dutch side there are some cool wrecks, but not too much in the way of reefs. On the French side, there are better reefs, particularly around Tintamarre which is a tiny island just offshore. A couple days ago I actually went and dove a reef that has probably never had divers on it ever and it was very nice.

I've seen a bunch of eagle rays here and occasional nurse sharks and reef sharks. Sometimes there are dolphins and my girlfriend saw a pilot whale one time. (It was some kind of small whale, but I'm not 100% sure.) I don't think you would see whale sharks or mantas, though.

Anyhow, if you have questions, message me and I can try to answer them. And if you find another place that sounds really good, let me know. Based on your post I think we have somewhat similar tastes. Good luck!

Last edited:
Would suggest that you consider Negril, Jamaica. Just check into one of the higher end AI's (Sandals, Couples, Beaches Negril) - problem solved.

There is an uncommon number of people with an intense love affair for Negril.

Do your research even here on SB.

Turks & Caicos hits the mark and will satisfy your requirements nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom