Which liveaboard companies have 10L tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering whether anyone knows which liveaboard companies that carry 10L (AL63) tanks as standard?

I'm rather small and really struggle with the usual AL80 tanks, not just the weight but more the length, which means the tank comes down to my knees. I have pretty good air use and found that diving with the 10l tank really improves my dive experience and doesn't limit bottom time.

I love liveaboard diving but would prefer companies that carry the smaller tanks as part of their equipment. Does anyone know some?

So far I've been able to get the smaller tanks on spirit of freedom (gbr, Australia) and the Fiji siren.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

many carry a few small tanks. i suggest you directly contact liveaboards you may be interested in and ask them.

By the way, you don't need to be small to prefer 63's. I am 6'2" and on most of my dives I prefer a 63. My air consumption is excellent and prefer the smaller lighter size. I own two 63s that I use for all my local shallow diving in New England and when at a shore diving local like Bon, I grab a 63 whenever one is available. I would prefer a 63 as well on a live aboard doing recreational warm water diving. There are times I prefer an 80 (deeper dives, wall dives, swim throughs at depth, diving with younger less experienced divers etc)

I know I did not help with your question, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your preference.

I used to look for 63s as well because of the length, though I often don't bother anymore. But it seems many liveaboards have a few on-board (which would be best to reserve in case you wind up on a charter filled with light breathers.) And more that will arrange to have one for you if you let them know in advance - I've seen liveaboards jump through hoops to get people a 63 or 100 on request. There's a lot of boats out there, are there specific places you're interested in? I agree it's best to just to check with boats you're interested in.

By the way, you don't need to be small to prefer 63's. I am 6'2" and on most of my dives I prefer a 63. My air consumption is excellent and prefer the smaller lighter size. I own two 63s that I use for all my local shallow diving in New England and when at a shore diving local like Bon, I grab a 63 whenever one is available. I would prefer a 63 as well on a live aboard doing recreational warm water diving. There are times I prefer an 80 (deeper dives, wall dives, swim throughs at depth, diving with younger less experienced divers etc)

I know I did not help with your question, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your preference.
It's good to know that it is not just the undersized people that use these. The more demand the greater chance of supply :)

---------- Post added September 21st, 2015 at 06:55 PM ----------

I used to look for 63s as well because of the length, though I often don't bother anymore. But it seems many liveaboards have a few on-board (which would be best to reserve in case you wind up on a charter filled with light breathers.) And more that will arrange to have one for you if you let them know in advance - I've seen liveaboards jump through hoops to get people a 63 or 100 on request. There's a lot of boats out there, are there specific places you're interested in? I agree it's best to just to check with boats you're interested in.
I was considering Maldives as the next destination (maybe someone next year), although the idea of strong currents scares me somewhat, lol. I only contacted one liveaboard with the question so far, with no luck. Was wondering whether some fleets have them as standard, but guess I'll have to ask the particular boats individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom