Which macro lens: Tokina 100mm or Nikon 105mm VR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sound promissing. I must admit that I have never played with teleconverters and not really sure about the benefits. I guess it extend the focal length by a factor. In the case of the 1.4 tc, how much is ? and does it affect other things like sharpness, autofocus etc ?

Not sure if you have your heart set on the 100 range lenses, but here is another vote for a 60 mm macro. I have both a 100 mm (Canon) and a 60 mm (Tamron), and I haven't bothered with the 100 in years. When I upgraded my housing, I didn't bother getting a new port for it. The 60 is so much better, IMHO.

Yes, if you are rock steady on the bottom and want to do some extreme macro, the 100 does let you put a little more distance between you and the subject. However, I have never found that to be much of an issue in practical terms. The longer lens makes it harder to frame subjects, especially moving subjects. The 60 will let you do some good fish portraits as well... remember, with an SLR, you are locked into that lens for the dive, so it is nice to have a little versatility. Here are a couple of examples of that...

NC0511 - 11.JPG

NC0511 - 32.JPG

Just my 2 PSI, having used both for a while. Here is another thread on that subject...

Mike

@USUB
Your D7000 has a Dx sensor so the 60mm is an effective 90mm lens. The 1.4 TC allows for further distance if you have clear water and super macro. It will cost you one stop in light but your camera handles higher ISOs pretty well.
I also think the 60mm is a great fish portrait lens, as above.
The newest Nikon 60mm does not AF well with the TC. The older versions are still available and slightly less expensive.
SB

I agree with Chuck, I always use auto-focus with the Nikon 105mm VR and have no problems when using my Sola 600 focus light.

Most people choose the Nikon over the Tokina 100mm macro because of the amount of extending the Tokina 100mm does, it puts it at a disadvantage. The Nikon 105mm VR also gives beautiful bokeh! - Scott

Starting to perhaps consider the 60mm Nikon instead of the 105mm, but at the same time I'm thinking that my Sigma 17-70 should be able to do much the same thing as the 60mm.
any opinions ?

I don't know anyone who has used the 17-70 for that (not saying that it can't be done, of course!)... the few examples of macro underwater shots that I found online weren't that impressive, but maybe that's because not as many people use it.

It is certainly a reasonable, economical topside lens if you want to be able to shoot a wide range of subjects. It is nowhere near as fast as the Tamron (f2 vs f4 for the Sigma at the longer focal length), and I don't think that you will get much background separation ("bokeh") with a slow lens like that.

Also, you would use a dome port for this instead of a flat plate, which means that you would lose the magnification factor that macro photographers look for as well. I'm not an expert on this, but I know that there is a difference..

If you really want to do macro, get the prime Tamron 60. If you want to take photos of a wide range of subjects and have the option of getting close on occasion, it might be a good compromise. Maybe someone here has used it...?

Mike

I would also suggest going for the 60mm first, a very versatile lens.

I gues you're right regarding the Sigma 17-70. It's a nice and flexible lens underwater, but macro capability is limited to 1:2.7

Here is a shot from sunday, very slightly cropped. The Dome was only about an inch from the fish.
https://picasaweb.google.com/106589512722112920765/Klint#5649313293076657714

The 1.4 TC and 60mm sounds very interesting and flexible and I'm now looking to order a Kenko Teleplus AF 1.4x and Nikon 60mm f/2.8D (old 60mm)
Any opinions on that teleconverter/lens combo ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom