Question Which one D620 or D630?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Quaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi I am looking to replace my current can light (2800 lumens) and like the look of these lights. I don't cave dive but do wall dives and wreck dives in the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes. When I checked out the videos of these lights on the Orcatech website I was confused by what I saw. 4000 lumens sounds great, but, the videos showed such a dazzling hotspot that it was difficult for me to see the advantage of 4000 lumens D630 over the not as bright, but more even beam of the 2700 lumen D620. Is it just a case of the video lights of the rig that was used for the footage on the D630 spoiled the effect of the lights' capabilities? Are there more videos of the light in use that better demonstrate the 4000 lumen performance? Anyone?
Cheers,
Norman H

D630 is a narrow beam light with some halo - I think it’s a great light for the price unless you are in very cloudy water - it does have some leakage or halo around the center of the beam which reflects on sediment in the water. Overall a great light and very reliable in my experience. A very bright beam as well. I prefer the Focus 2, but it’s 3x the price.

D620 is a nice small form factor and a much wider beam angle. It has less of a hot spot and more even beam, not near as bright - obviously, as the 630. I would stay away from the 620 as the light head (LED) is prone to overheating.

Thanks for the feedback. I wondered why there was a YouTube video on how to replace a burned out LED in a D620....

How about a dir free cableless hermetically sealed d520 strung together with two other d520s

42 P1010201 (1) (2).JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom