Which one? PNG or Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidgy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay here's my problem.. my hubby is giving me a choice to go to GALAPAGOS or
PAPUA NEW GUINEA. This will be for hitting my 100th dive. ( actually I have more I think but can't count them cuz I didn't log em )
So I am asking you--- if you had a choice of those two which one and why?
In advance ...thanks

PNG,

Generally as you cross the pacific from west to east, the biodiversity diminishes. OTOH the number of endemic species increases.

Oh, and the Galapagos seem to be sort of shut down at the moment.

We have not dove the Galapagos, have dove Cocos which some say is similar. Have researched Galapagos as we will be diving there in 09. Dove PNG and loved it! I think they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Galapagos is cool water and an amazing mix of big animals. PNG, we dove Milne Bay, is warm water, incredible corals and an amazing variety of fish. But not a lot of big stuff. There is a trip report, slide show and gallery at our site: www.aquabluedreams.com

PNG

Galapagos can be very demanding diving. You have to be honest with yourself. Are you significantly experienced to dive there?

PNG!!! Easier diving, better diversity, warm water, usually very smooth, neater local culture etc etc etc....

Lately, there has been a shakeup in the boats going to Galapagos, making the remaining "legal" boats highly booked and they have a perfect excuse to raise prices. I haven't heard that they have done so, however.

I LOVE PNG!!!

You're going to need to do both. PNG looks like it's on right now.

Wait a few on the Galloping Pogos. They will sort out their little internal taxation issues. It will be back on line soon.

In the mean time, go do PNG. It is about due (someday) for a major hosing-up what with our AlQueda pals running about. Right now, it's just fine.

Do them in that order.

Back
Top Bottom