Which Ontario Dive Sites Have Best Marine Life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know that Ontario is mainly wreck diving but are there any sites that have some decent marine life? I don't expect colourful tropical fish of course but bass, trout, salmon, sturgeon, etc., would be great to see if it can be done on any consistent level.

hardly a "dive" site, the "Steel Products" (I was told that name 20+ years ago) sitting partly out of the water east of Crystal Beach in Lake Erie is just awash with shallow warm water species. It's depth is in places just feet, it is tricky to navigate to as the shallows that claimed it are its home, and is also a fair distance off shore, but to float around it on a calm sunny day is magical... A road was built out to it to salvage/scrap it back in the day, and the entire deck was burned off. The balance of it's steel hull is beaten yearly by waves and ice.

The mouth of the St Clair river is great for Sturgeon this time of year. It is best to start out in the lake and drift into the river. The current is very strong but I have seen 20-30 large (5-10ft) sturgeon on a single dive. You can still see them as the water gets warmer but not in as large numbers.

The rivers are filled with fishies! As Dean mentioned above, the head of the St Clair is sheer awesome for sturgeon in June / early July and large schools of pickerel about year round.

Another great river often overlooked by divers is the upper Niagara (well before the falls). Fish abound throughout the river including spotting of muskies, occasionally / rarely a sturgeon, but lots of bass, carp, sheepshead, pickerel and in the spring large schools of killer minnows (if night diving!). A great spot is "Thompson's Hole", google it. It's a divot in the river, a swirling massive whirlpool, with large fish including muskies lingering around it's 60' depth. (the rest of the river is typically 25-30' at it's deepest). Another amazing spot on the Niagara is mid way across the river just upstream of the railroad bridge (watch that US border! or vice versa). There are quiet oases (no current) spots, where large fish comically congregate in 35' depths.. it's really quite magical.

The whole St Lawrence River is of great scaly wonder, especially in the 1000 islands. One of my favorite temporal spots is catching the spawning channel cats at around the 40' mark in late June / early July at Ivy Lea campgrounds. (you can day dive there for a small fee). Channel Catfish are so amazingly ugly that they are utterly beautiful in their uniqueness and grace underwater, in my opinion :) . They are protecting their nests so please don't harrass them! Watch from a distance, they may even come check you out if you are unobtrusive in your approach.

J.>

Thanks for the replies everybody. Wonder if there's anywhere to see the salmon when in season. Those who like to fish them obviously do but have not heard much in terms of diving.

I have not dived Tobermory or off Brockville or Kingston yet - how's the marine life out there?

Last edited:
St Lawrence
Thanks for the replies everybody. Wonder if there's anywhere to see the salmon when in season. Those who like to fish them obviously do but have not heard much in terms of diving.

I have not dived Tobermory or off Brockville or Kingston yet - how's the marine life out there?
at Brockville: sheepshead, bass, pike, catfish, mud puppies.

In Tobermory I have seen a school of salmon flowing past the Niagara II.

Toronto harbour on the Merrill wreck I've seen hundreds of alewives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom