which place and dive op recommendations please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misdmnr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Planning on a vacation to either Grenada, Barbados, or Aruba. Never been to any of them. So I am wondering which has the best diving and which dive op to use. We are experienced divers, used to diving Cozumel and looking for something different. Thanks in advance!

Aruba has some nice wrecks and is south of the hurricane belt. How comfortable do you want your accommodations? The Riu Palace is a really nice All Inclusive with a good dive operator on property, Unique Sports Aruba.
Sandals has just opened a new resort on Grenada which is awesome. Not a fan of most Sandals resorts for diving as most properties are not in the right location for diving. I think Grenada is an exception.
From friends who have worked Barbados, its not much to write home about.
Let me know if you would like more options or information.
Both Grenada and Aruba give you the option of island hopping to their neighbours. Aruba has Bonaire and Curacao, Grenada has Carriacou.

Cheers
Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I will definitely check out Aruba and Grenada more closely. I like getting feedback on good dive ops and what better place than here?!? I am not into cattle drive dive ops, and am willing to pay a little extra for a smaller boat 4-8 people is optimal. I do appreciate your info!

I don't know flights from your area but I've seen several posts from people in the Midwest who use Aruba as a connecting point to get to Bonaire - or Curacao which is slightly closer (It should be the ACB islands - not ABC's geographically. ) Since both are easily reachable the same day - some the same afternoon. Insel Air flies several times per day to Bonaire. The plane stops in Curacao first. So either is an option. There's other local flight options to Bonaire from Aruba also - check "Getting Here" on the infobonaire site linked below.

Both are going to have more diving than Aruba. I've not been there because the others both seemed to be regarded as significantly better. From the number of dive operators, one might have to concur. Also both consider themselves Dive destinations - I've not seen that for Aruba. You can also do a lot more shorediving at the other two - Bonaire has about 70 shore dives, Curacao about 50. Both also have a lot of boat dives. On either island some are both. Curacao seems to have more boat dives not shore accessible since part of the Marine Park is east of any settled areas. Oddly, we found the better diving to be west outside the park.

Entries are easier on Curacao (beach vs. ironshore) but dive sites are farther apart. Some people never get on a boat all week. There's a higher percentage of Dive resorts on Bonaire - must be over a dozen waterfront. Even non-waterfront resorts bundle a dive package with somebody. Curacao is more resorts with diving although many of the hotels/condo complexes also have their own operator - and house reef.

All about Curacao - Curacao Travel- Caribbean, Curacao, Dutch Caribbean
Bonaire: Best Caribbean Diving Island | Top Caribbean Beaches | Bonaire Vacations - Home or
Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information

You might also look at direct flights to Curacao - AA flies there. Delta flies to Bonaire thru Atlanta.

You won't see a lot of big stuff though. Some tarpon, turtles, occasional(very) shark. All sorts of macro, seahorses, scorpionfish, nudi's, lots of turtles. It's a change from Coz in that you'll have to look hard to find a drift dive.

I will definitely check those links out tonight after work...thanks and good to know Aruba may not be what we are looking for.

I would not recommend Aruba for diving.

I just came back from Aruba and wasnt impressed. Compared to Curacao or Bonaire the diving in Aruba was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom