Which spear gun? How to choose the right one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am a total noob when it comes to spear gun. However - I knew I will have to buy one in the very very near future. I went to my LDS today in hope of walking out with one. Didn't happen.

All the salesperson (idiot) can tell me was with his 35 years of experiences that I should just buy the one that he like most. I look at a few guns and I walked out.

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction so I can do some unbias research in hope of understanding the dynamics, functions and available features that modern spear gun has to offers so I can MAKE MY OWN INFORMATIVE DECISION on which spear gun is best suited for my needs and my physic.

UaVaj, what kind of area will you be diving/fishing. Big rigs in the gulf, deep wrecks,shallow reefs, open areas, lots of nooks and crannies. then what kind of fish are you going to hunt, this is like taking an elephant gun squirel hunting. no body can tell another what is best gear to use each has to edjucate them selves by reading and reasearching and this is a good start. what I did was to go on a cpearfishing charter with my LDS and rented a gun and it was an overnight trip we fished the first day and that night we all sat around and told war stories listening to the different guys talking and they all had different guns...and guys we like to talk about our toys...that is how I decided to buy my first speargun.....now I am in the market again after going into dry dock a few years and selling my gear off.....I had to re-educate myself.....I know what kind of features in things I am looking for..now to find the closest match to what I want.

I was thinking of buying two guns.

A small one (24" or so) with one sling for smaller fish when I am rec diving.
and
A large one (48" or so) with 2 or more slings for larger game when I am hunting.

1st decision what type of diving (freeviver / scuba) are you doing.
2nd decision is your pocket book. You can buy 1 gun (approx 48") that will be good for most types of bottom hunting, but you will outgrow it and wind up buying a 2nd gun after a while. If you plan on bluewater hunting i'd say you get some experience diving before you eentertain the sport.
Just remember you don't have to load all bands all the time. We shoot 3 band guns (Riffe) but only need to load 1 to shoot yellowtails & hogfish.
Read, listen ask alot of questions or you will spend alot of money on guns that you can't get any resale value out of.
If money is an "issue" buy a used gun, plenty around for sale.

Hope others on this site add their insight for you also

I shoot a 48" Sea Hornet gun...check them out at http://www.slinginsteel.com/
I have only been shooting for three years, but have used it quite a bit, averaging 30 trips a year hunting...and it has never failed me...it, to me, offers you flexibility in being able to quickly change from freeshafting to lineshafting if conditions warrant. Like others have said, it's up to you to decide on where you are going to do most of your hunting and what type of performance you need from a gun...although my gun has 2 bands, I seldom use more than one, unless I'm in deep water hunting for big fish. Since you are a new hunter, I recommend you buy one gun and get used to it and then if you feel it necessary, buy another...I haven't felt that way yet after 3 years...if you're going hunting for local fish in South Fla., either Atlantic or Gulf coasts, I recommend you start with a minimum of 48" gun. One last thing, take good care of your equipment, the gun and the shafts, don't overlook the necessity of cleaning and caring for them once you own them. Good luck...keep asking questions.

I will be spearing only while scuba diving.

$$$ is not an issue at all. However pointing out that an expensive gun can't get any resale value at all. I think I will stay with a preowned instead. No point in wasting $$$ when not necessary.

Obviously for the small gun. I think any gun will do. I think I may pickup a 16" pneumatic.

The real question is how do I pick the right large gun. What do I need to look at in terms of determining which is the biggest gun my physic can safetly handle and load.

What is the proper way of sizing up the proper gun.

Once I get the sizing is done. What are some of the features of a spear gun that many of you find worth having?

Uavaj,

You can save some money by forgetting about the short gun. Guns less than 36" are for dirty water, and don't have much range or knock down power.

Depending on your reach, a 48" to 57" gun will be your best bet.

There will be two events where you can talk to gun makers, reps & pros in the next two months.

www.spearboardopen.com on May 20th and www.thebluewild.com on June 29th & 30th.

I'll be at both of them.

Another good site to check out is www.spearfishingmagazine.com

If you want to try before you buy and get training I can help with that.

Capt Chad

Try asking some of the people over on spearboard.com. I was able to get some very good advice on what to look for from the SE FL group.

Maybe one of the people over on the spearboard has a good used gun to sell.

Regards,
Flea

As you found out, there are basically two types of guns. Pnuematic and band guns. I currently own both types.
IMO I would stay away from the pnuematic. There is more maintenance to deal with (seals and o-rings) and are not any more superior or accurate. With a banded gun you have virtually no moving parts. Also, as mentiond already you can vary the power by using one or all of the bands.
There are too many guns to choose form on the market. Riffe, A. B. Biller, and JBL are some of the leaders in the US market. There are a number of european models as well. JBL makes a travel combo gun kit that has a 31" and 63" barrell length. The kit also has 2 shafts and tips with a nice padded carrying case. These are aluminum barrels rather then wood. Wood cost a considerable amount more, but some claim they are more accurate and solid. I don't think it's worth the extra cost because I don't do enough spearfishing anymore. There are many considerations when looking at the features and benifits of a speargun. Some have a guide or shaft track that sits along the top of the spear and helps guide the shaft once fired. Some guns have a particular gun sling mounting pattern that allows for les stress and more accuracy. There are also gun slings that screw directly into the gun body and have articulating stainless steel wishbones for more accuracy.
I would try and stick with a larger gun. Nothing less then 46"
Small guns are good for close range and small fish only.
Here is a little guidline for you. These numbers will change if you add more or less slings and thinner or thicker tubing.
Gun size 20"-32", Range 8-10'
Gun size 34"-46", Range 10-14'
Gun size 48"-60", Range 14-20'
Gun size 60" + Range 20+

I hope this helps you.

you got some good advise here. stay away from pneumatic guns. ditto on that. the water and target species will determine what gun you will buy. heck musicalmike vbmenu_register("postmenu_2901340", true); said it all. solid advise. and know your target species. my diving here on the north coast of california will require a different gun than say somebody from southern cal in general. a gun for white sea bass in so cal would be different than a gun to shoot lingcod in nor cal. ect..ect.. a mid range gun would be a safe starter. or maybe a pole spear to get some practice? good luck and have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom