Which strobe to pick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

szymon48

Reaction score
i have just bought a C-5050 and I am planning to buy a sea& sea strobe.
the problem is that i dont know which one would work the best with my 5050.
the other thing is that i dont want something fully manual. i was thinking ofthe 90
series. it would be cool if someone could give me some information.

The S&S YS90DX works great with the 5050. You'll have the option of going fully manual or using the aperture settings on the strobe. It's easy to use and S&S is good quality.

Is there some reason you've chosen S&S? You might want to look into the new INON D-2000. I 'upgraded' to the Inon D-180 from the YS90DX, mainly because of the smaller size. The new D-2000 has more automatical settings...can't remember now just exactly but it's designed specifically to work with point and shoot cameras.

The D-2000 has an S-TTL mode, which in all honesty, I don't know much about. I picked it up as a second strobe to my D180, but since I'm not much for TTL anyway and I shoot manually, I haven't used it, but it does appear to have more automatic settings. The D-180 has been discontinued, with the D-2000 as it's replacement. If you want to be able to do TTL, the Z-220 may be a better choice if considering INON.

Hey Dee, I'm looking to get a 180 but they are discontinued from Inon. Don't you want to upgrade to the new 220 with the laser pointer?? Come on....you know you do......Let me know if you want to sell one of your 180's.

Allison Finch:
Hey Dee, I'm looking to get a 180 but they are discontinued from Inon. Don't you want to upgrade to the new 220 with the laser pointer?? Come on....you know you do......Let me know if you want to sell one of your 180's.

:rofl: Good try! Lessee...You buy the D2000, get the diffuser while your at it and I'll trade ya! :D

BTW....here's one for ya... listed in Photo Gear forum in answer to your post.

I can vouch for BrantD...he's a good guy. I'd do business with him again in a heartbeat.

i have just bought a C-5050 and I am planning to buy a sea& sea strobe.
the problem is that i dont know which one would work the best with my 5050.
the other thing is that i dont want something fully manual. i was thinking ofthe 90
series. it would be cool if someone could give me some information.
What housing do you have with the C5050?

Out-of-the-box none of the Sea and Sea strobes will work in TTL with the Olympus range of cameras because the TTL protocols are different. Out of the S&S strobes the S&S YS-90DX is probably your best option as it is a newer, 'digital compatible' strobe and has provision for a sync cord connection which will be useful if you decide to upgrade to a camera/housing system that does. You can only use it in manual with the C5050. If you have a PT-015 you can add the Matthias' Olympus TTL IR controller and use the YS-90DX in TTL. See: heinrichsweikamp.net.

Again, with the Inon Z220/220S you have the same issue - TTL protocols are different. You can use it in manual mode or add the 'heinrichsweikamp' IR controller and use it in TTL mode.

Your other option is the Inon D-2000 - it has 'mimick' TTL (i.e. it'll copy you camera's built-in TTL flash), External Auto (uses a light sensor on the strobe itself to control the strobe) or full manual. The only thing it doesn't have is a sync cord connector.

This information saved me another night of research. there is just one more
thing i wanted to ask. what is TTL - N and TTL - S. i know this might seem funny
but i am a beginner.

ReyeR:

Wow, cool solution. Does it work? I assume it does, but anyone use one of these things?

ReyeR:
Your other option is the Inon D-2000 - it has 'mimick' TTL (i.e. it'll copy you camera's built-in TTL flash), External Auto (uses a light sensor on the strobe itself to control the strobe) or full manual. The only thing it doesn't have is a sync cord connector.

Seems like INON is going through a LOT of trouble to avoid a sync cord. Maybe this is because they are looking at providing a solution that works well with less expensive housings??

I am starting to see why people shoot in manual mode UW with strobes. TTL for UW digital applications does not seem to be very far along, and shooting manual is not all that hard to learn and benificial in many situations where TTL get's fooled in any event.

Ron

This information saved me another night of research. there is just one more
thing i wanted to ask. what is TTL - N and TTL - S. i know this might seem funny
but i am a beginner.
The outside receiver unit will connect to your strobe via a sync cord. The outside unit will depend on what type of connector is at the sync cord you use. 'N' stands for Nikonos (5-pin type) and 'S' for Sea and Sea (4-pin type).

Can someone reccomend a good place to purchase inon strobes ? I have a Olympus C5050 camera with a PT-015 underwater housing. Also, how about a reccomendation for strobe arms. I looked at ultra light they seem nice but are they worth the expense ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom