Which strobe YS-01 vs YS-D1 for Olympus TG-2 with PT-05 Underwaterhousing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to figure out which strobe to get with my configuration (Olympus TG-2 with PT-053 Underwaterhousing). I read enough to understand the Sea and Sea YS-01 is a good strobe for beginners, but understand there are some drawbacks with some cameras with TTL, pre flash, etc. YS-D1 appears on the surface to be nicer, but might be overkill and overly complicated for simple point and shot at depth. Hence trying to see if there is experience in this group with folks who have used either the Sea and Sea YS-01 or YS-D1 with this camera configuration. Looking to get the tray, arms and strobe to go with my fantesea BlueRay Radiant Video light and camera configuration, with an emphasis on a good choice for a beginner. Hence, only one strobe and one video light on each pole.

In terms of power the YS-01 is fine with the TG-2 as you can operate at relatively wide apertures

There are some notes on the sea and sea compatibility chart

SEA&SEA |

Seems like the YS-01 needs a firmware upgrade to function properly with your camera.

In terms of functionality the YS-D1 won't be more complex if you shoot in TTL and totally the same if you shoot in manual that should not frighten you

You may also want to consider an Inon S2000 for your compact set up, less punch than the YS-01 but very small more in line with your camera

I found a blog series on here that spoke about the difference between Inon S2000 and YS-01, and the gentlemen that owns both of them seems to believe they both were fairly equal, with the Inon being the smaller unit as you said. Hence I tried to do some quick research on them, but did not find many placed that offer them stateside. Makes me nervous about getting support/ parts if needed. Also would you consider the D-2000 or YS-D1 a better choice in 2014. The D-2000 offers wireless integration, though not sure if that is a feature of only high end DLSR's.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40670

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the D2000 is a better strobe than the S2000 but is all about your needs.
If you plan to upgrade to a larger set up with a bigger sensor definitely go to Z240 or YS-D1. Inon strobes tend to be more compatible with different makes of cameras.
For example my canon compacts do not offer TTL in manual but with the D2000 you can have something similar, you can't with the S2000
The feature of the D2000 are not that important for your camera
Here is a set of TG-1 pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/inonproject/sets/72157631957051007/

I have had the YS-01 is very powerful for the price and stronger than the Inon S/D2000 however I found it less accurate than the Inon and in the end I got rid of it as I had an after sales service issue with sea and sea. But it was really punchy

Your strobe will survive your camera and both will make a good ebay sale if you keep them well. The S2000 I thought looked better with the TG-2 as it is a small form

Interceptor is correct that the YS-D1 and the z240 are top flight for when you upgrade. I have both and find the YS-D1 a much simpler and intuitive strobe to use (especially in the dark). At this point, I would not suggest putting too much emphasis on wireless integration. It has proven to be fairly unreliable so far (I am sure it will improve in the future).
Although I really like the YS-D1, you should know that the guide number Sea&Sea claims is a little disingenuous, because you need to use a diffuser to get the same coverage as the z240.

...some quick research on them, but did not find many placed that offer them stateside. Makes me nervous about getting support/ parts if needed.

Which is why buying them from a reputable dealer/distributor is strongly recommended. Inon strobes are extremely well built so you should never have a problem but if you do, having someone like Backscatter or Reef Photo behind them is important.

Power wise the YS-D1 and Z240 are the most powerful, the YS-01 comes second and the S/D2000 after. Depending on the type of shooting even the weaker strobe can be fine. If you had the dome you would need two strobes but wen so two S2000 would cover your camera and any small sensor compact. You go bigger and you need the power

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom