Which wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tubbyka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be on Kona Aggressor this coming weekend. What wetsuit, 3mm or 5mm should we bring?

Thanks

How do you normally feel in 75 deg water? I dive a 3/2 with a vest and hood and I am good. If I were to go deeper or stay longer I might be convinced to go with a 5 but I haven't really needed it. Even on my hour long dives I don't fee the need for more.

Personally, I don't dive in anything thinner than a 5mm full suit in Hawaii. At the end of my second hour long dive yesterday in Maui, I was starting to feel the chill creeping in.

With the water being around 75-77 degrees, I'd say take the 5mm suit since you'll be diving 4-5x per day for 5 days straight and your core temperature will take a big hit by day 3. It isn't often you hear someone complaining about being too warm! :blinking:

There's no real telling what suit you need without knowing your size. It's mostly about body build and cold tolerance. If you're 6'2" and 300 lbs, you're likely to be OK with nothing, maybe a shorty or the 3 mil by the end of the week. If you're 5'3" and 130 you'll want the 5, and probably a hood within a couple of days.

The core warmer idea is a great one no matter which suit you end up using.

Most of the computer readings on the boat have been 77 plus or minus a degree most of the spring/summer so far.

5mm. IF you are notdiving in water that is 98.6 you are losing body heat, burning air.

5mm with booties,tropical gloves, and perhaps a beanie hood. I use all except the hood and never get chilled even on 2-3 90 min dives a day. Only did 4 dives in a day once there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom