Whistle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David C R

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
That's right

I had been experiencing a whistle on my ears, don't know anything about the posibility of dcs sympton or maybe ear damage for a bad compensation, I had been diving but couldn't find any dive with a bad profile, I feel no pain but it is almost quit disturbing, becomes very noisy in silence.

Could be related to dcs???

Is this a constant ringing noise, or, is it only heard with an accompanying inspiration/exhalation? Bilateral (both sides) or only on one side?

Excellent reference here from DAN

All the best, James

Hi daviddomus,

What is described sounds much like tinnitus, a condition that involves an annoying sensation of hearing sounds when no external sound is present. The noise may be a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound and may be in one or both ears. It may be accompanied by some hearing loss; rarely is there continuing pain. It becomes more noticeable during periods of silence.

Its causes are varied, but can include exposure to loud sounds over long periods, certain medications (e.g., long term use of aspirin) and aging. It also may be caused by scuba-related injury to the ear, such as barotrauma from failure of middle ear equalization either on descent ("ear squeeze") or ascent ("reverse squeeze").

Tinnitus can be seen with inner ear DCS, but in such cases almost always is associated with other signs/symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo and hearing loss.

Helpful?

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hello Daviddomus

I agree with Dr. Vikingo that this appears to be tinnitus. With shallow dives, equalization problems are more likely the cause. DCS would show more than an ear problem, most likely.

I suspect that the [quite common] problem is not related to diving. Many folks have “ringing in the ears.”

Dr Deco :doctor:

I apologize not to answering soon to your posts!!

The description of the sympton is almost accurate but without any of the other symptoms as dizziness, vertigo and hearing loss.

Thanks for your replies, definetly it's time to go to a doctor and make that ear dcs!

Hello Daviddomus

I agree with Dr. Vikingo that this appears to be tinnitus. With shallow dives, equalization problems are more likely the cause. DCS would show more than an ear problem, most likely.

I suspect that the [quite common] problem is not related to diving. Many folks have “ringing in the ears.”

Dr Deco :doctor:

Never R/O HTN...................GEAUX TIGERS.........

Back
Top Bottom