White balance question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSwain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I have a question on white balancing. Right now I am using a GoPro HD camera that doesn’t have any way to white balance. I am thinking that if I shoot a white slate at different depths for a few seconds, I can use this footage while editing the video to adjust the colors of those frames to get it white and then what ever else was shot at that depth, the colors will be better? Is this correct? I do have a blue water filter that can be used at shallower depths and lights for deeper, I was just wondering if this will help make the colors any better.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
T.S.

Yes shooting a slate will help, I have found using software white balance along with a filter with the gopro does a pretty good improvement on the colours.

I use adobe premiere pro and the colorista 2 plugin which works well (Im sure theres many other options) it has many settings there to play with but all I've used so far is the eyedropper white balance auto adjust. I wish I had something white to always get a proper white balance off though, but using sand or things on other divers you know are white does work ok most times.

Why not use a magic filter? If you don't have lights that will help anyway and reduce the need for the manipulation you are going to do
Consider also painting your fins white as opposed to filming a slate!

Why not use a magic filter? If you don't have lights that will help anyway and reduce the need for the manipulation you are going to do
Consider also painting your fins white as opposed to filming a slate!

Interceptor, I do have a filter it is a Ikelite one that fits the eye on mine housing perfect, and I also have 2 L&M sola 1200 lights for deeper dives. I was just wondering if shoting a white slate would help on the colors. As for painting my fins, I dont think the paint would hold up very well and with the slate it is attached to my tray, I think this would be much easier to film than painted fins. But thank you for the info.

You should never use the lights and the filter in combination. Filter works well until even 25 meters without light I have the same Ikelite see my footage sharm part 3 on Interceptor121's Channel - YouTube moray eels are at 26 meters. If your lights are good they should restore the right colour temperature and you should not use the filter at all when your lights are on
Am surprised you went that far with a set of light for such tiny camera that does not even have manual white balance?
Most of the wide angle shots you will ever take could be done with a good filter a good lens and manual white balance. Seems strange to have a set of lights worth $1400 and a camera costing $200 that lacks basic features? Did you buy it because it is extremely compact?

Yes I bought it because I wanted something very small and was just starting out with video. Needed lights to video the caves in Fl and was looking at the future to buy a good HD Setup. I am very pleased with the quality of the GoPro. I am not sure I can spend $5000 + for a bigger set up that will not be used that much. With the gopro I can place it on my hand and not even know it is there while diving. Again thanks for the help.

This go pro rig seems to have a 127 angle outside water which is remarkable but focus distance is 2 feet which will be more in water
Seems like a good set up for divers and wide angle but how do you manage close ups? My set up costs less than $1000 who just a focus light I wonder how it compares will check your vids

This go pro rig seems to have a 127 angle outside water which is remarkable but focus distance is 2 feet which will be more in water
Seems like a good set up for divers and wide angle but how do you manage close ups? My set up costs less than $1000 who just a focus light I wonder how it compares will check your vids

Do you have any of your videos up on the web? I would like to compare our videos. And can I ask what set up you are using?
Thanks.

Ok I found your videos and saw what set up you are using. Videos are great. I just wish I had water that clear here in our local quarrys. I guess I will find out how the GoPro works in clear water in a few weeks. I will post video once we get back. Thanks again for the help.

In my channel there's a video of one o our OW classes in a lake vis is 10' or less
I don't have a filter for green water so I used manual White balance however a challenge with poor visibility is that the camera autofocus continuiosly tries to focus on silt and suspended particles so I have to use manual focus all along
The go pro with fixed focus seems ideal for low viz and taking shots of divers and classes
In the lake I teach due to lots of silt lights actually don't work at all and make things worst as they reflect on the suspended particles but where you are it seems they work just fine

Back
Top Bottom