White Balance setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccredifo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My camera has several different modes to manage the white balance: auto, underwater, custom, etc..

I have dual strobes and wondering what others are doing.
- Leave camera at auto?
- Change White Balance to underwater mode?
- Change White Balance to Custom mode, use a white slate and calibrate every ten feet or so?

I think the Underwater mode is for users that don't have an underwater flash. With dual flashes I'm pretty sure the pictures would turn out way too red.

I'd think the Custom approach is ideal but certainly requires more hands-on. Calibrating my camera every 10 feet sounds like a big hassle. Then again if the pictures are much better it might be justified.

I'd like some feedback of how others are setting the white balance.

Thx,
CC

My question: is it worth just to shot in RAW and didn't take care about white balance, aperture and shooter speed ?

My camera has several different modes to manage the white balance: auto, underwater, custom, etc..

I have dual strobes and wondering what others are doing.
- Leave camera at auto?
- Change White Balance to underwater mode?
- Change White Balance to Custom mode, use a white slate and calibrate every ten feet or so?

I think the Underwater mode is for users that don't have an underwater flash. With dual flashes I'm pretty sure the pictures would turn out way too red.

I'd think the Custom approach is ideal but certainly requires more hands-on. Calibrating my camera every 10 feet sounds like a big hassle. Then again if the pictures are much better it might be justified.

I'd like some feedback of how others are setting the white balance.

Thx,
CC

I shoot with a Nikon P5100 in manual mode and dual Ike strobes normally set on "forced" flash so they go off every time. My experience is that with the strobes, the best WB setting is "flash" if you have that available, otherwise use auto. Manual (Custom) WB is normally used when the strobes are off or otherwise not firing due to conditions. This applies when your subject is within the effective range of the strobes, typically macro or a few feet in normal mode.

If your subject is beyond the effective range of your strobes, i.e. WA, then I'd use manual WB is adjust and turn the strobes off.

Depending on your camera model, the Underwater setting is probably for any shots without an external strobe. Your internal flash may fire if needed.

Let us know what camera you are using and someone familar with it may be able to provide specific advice.

I think divengolf summed it up nicely.

Underwater and custom white balance modes are for ambient light shots (no flash or strobe)

use auto, or flash - the results will be very similar between the 2, see which you like best, I use auto. and of course in Raw files you can set the white balance later.

Demax - when shooting in Raw, you still have to worry about aperture and shutter speed.

hope this helps
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom