White Balance vs Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA:
text removed....

The camera are just not tunned for UW light. For eample there are three color filters for each group of four pixels so they use two greens because human eyes see well in green light
in an UW camera we would lprefer two reds. Also the camers are designed with only enough WB range to handle daylight and indoor incandesent lights

welp, I'm not too technically savy in the sensor area so I couldn't quite comprehend some of what you were explaining. From what it sounds like though, for some cameras, they may not be able to fully wb due to their cheaper consumer quality. IE, they have limits which may not allow you to just rely on wb alone.

So depending on the situation, you would have to use the filter to do some color correction. most likely in deeper or darker waters. Best bet is to try it and see how it handles the situations.

Good luck.
-Mark

When I shoot with my Sony TRV-20... I just usually go for it, and clean up anything that isn't balanced in Post. From what I have tried with the filter, I haven't been too impressed with the results. It seems to me that the best tools to have for shooting good video is a set of good lights.

My camera doesn't allow for the changing of WB while UW, so that's the main reason I just go for it... I've shot about 30 hours of video UW, and I've tried the "auto pre-set settings" on the sony "AE Settings" and for the most part, I get the best video just leaving the camera on AUTO... For some of the deeper footage, I add a little red in Adobe Premier...

My night footage and close up daytime footage comes out perfectly straight off the camera... no post required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom